Author Topic: The Sidewalks of City 15  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Sidewalks of City 15
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 11:21:53 PM »
Lorna had intended to ask Javier to go get her car but the idea of the marine scratching her candy apple paint job was a great deterrent.  Instead, the purple haired nurse took his arm and held on tight as she began to limp down the street.  She understood why so many people didn't know how to drive.  Public transit was very easy to use and went everywhere.  She knew first hand that having a car was not cheap (though now that she had one of her own, she would never go back).  What she couldn't understand was pilots who were used to manning very expensive planes and could make these machines do amazing things, could not man a simple car without crashing into something.

A smile played on Lorna's lips as she leaded in close to Javier and whispered, teasingly, "Remind me to never let you drive my baby." she looked up then gave him a wink.
No my friend, darkness is not everywhere, for here and there I find faces illuminated from within; paper lanterns among the dark trees

Dvotchka

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »
"Maybe you ought to teach me to drive," he laughed and noted her limp. "I suppose I could scoop you up, if you are having a tough time of it. Anyhow, I grew up in the Euro Reconstruction Zone. Everything was pretty new, and they tried to centralize urban areas as much as possible, so we could all take mass transit. I guess it was a bit like after the war a century ago. When the United Estates rebuilt after entire cities were razed, they made the best metros around. Of course, in their country, everyone took cars. My grandfather was on the Macross and told me a lot of the world before the war. I wish we could have seen it."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:27:39 PM by Dvotchka »

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
Lorna gripped Javier's arm tighter each time she took a painful step. She tried to hide her limp: tried to look strong in front of the marine.  She thought it might be working becuase he seemed content on talking of his homeland and memories of his grandfather and the world before the wars.  "My family begins with my parents." Lorna said softly, becuase she was sad or ashamed of the fact:  that was just how things were.  She could feel the blood running down her knees and most of the way down her shins now. 

The purple haired nurse stopped and wiped her once white handkerchief along the wounds to soak up the blood before it reached her expensive shoes.  "And I'm sure if you can fly a VF, you can pilot a car....." she looked up and gave him a coy smile, "but maybe we'll have to rent one instead of using mine for you to learn in." she gave him a wink then stood back up, wrapping her arm around his again.
No my friend, darkness is not everywhere, for here and there I find faces illuminated from within; paper lanterns among the dark trees

Dvotchka

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »
Javier did his best to support Lorna so she could shift her weight off her most injured knee. For such a small and lithe frame, he felt about as solid as concrete. "You are probably wise to rent a car than to let me drive yours. Truthfully, cars have always frightened me a little. They are about as hard hitting as a bull, but don't have the brains to guide them. Maybe someone will come up with the brilliant idea of using horses again. We could have an old-west colony entertainment planet. It looks like a cowboy hat. All the gauchos show up there with fake revolvers and play cowboy for a day." He laughed at the idea of tumbleweeds and spitoons on a colony vessel.

"My family is quite old. Someone followed us back a long way. We were either bullfighters or in the service of Espain. Some great great great times-100 grandfather was Francisco Pizarro. Some think he was a war criminal and a slaver. He conquered Peru, so I don't know what that makes him. My father is still the featured torreador in my home. My grandfather served in destroids on the macross when he was young. My grandmother did ordinance on one of the ARMED carriers. I guess that's how I still remain Espanish after we all became people of Earth. Anyhow, Abuelo returned to Espain and resumed the family business. And here I am, all these years later. You say your family began with your parents? Are they doctors? Nurses? Are you following a family tradition?"

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
Lorna laughed softly about the pilots idea of a western colony vessel. Though she was sure it would be a wonderful place to visit, she would not want to live in such a place.  She liked her car and her modern way of life.

Though the blood still ran down her leg, the stinging in her knee began to lesson so Lorna loosened her grip on the stron arm of the marine. She listened to his family history in owe.  Sometimes she had wondered what it would be like to have grandparents but to know who you're ancestors were was beyond comprehension for the nurse.

He asked of her parents and Lorna looked back down at the ground.  "Both my parents are accountants.  They're happy with numbers and with money in the bank.  Late nights at work.  Nothing but a desk and a calculator.  They're pleased I'm a nurse becuase I make a good wage.  Not becuase I help people. And certainly not of the way I like to spend money."  The nurse gave a shrug and let her hand slide down his arm, resting in his hand.  "I like my car.  I like my cloths and my life style."

The couple passed an alley way.  Lorna glanced down in, hoping that maybe the young man was there.  No such luck, but half way down lay her wallet in a puddle of oily water.  The purple haired nurse gave a sigh and released her grip on Javier's hand to go retrieve it.

Dvotchka

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
"Hang on, I'll get it." He carefully propped her against a wall and went to grab the wallet. He didn't want her treading through the sludge, but more than that, he knew an alley would be a fine place for an ambush. He could deal with that a lot better than she could. Fetching the bag, he scanned the alley for hideouts, and ambush spots. Content that he was the only one there, he reached for the billfold, keeping his head up and alert, and sighed. It felt disturbingly empty. He might have to play drunk with Gabe to see if those punks were dumb enough to strike twice.

"I haven't looked, but I am afraid they didn't leave much.You might keep your bag zipped and hang it from your shoulder. Protect it with your arm, and they'll have a harder time stealing from you in the future." He passed it back and gave her cheek a peck.

"Anyhow, accountants. That sounds a little dry compared to the life of a trauma nurse. I am sure they appreciate the steadiness of your work, and you do dress well. I can't wait to hit Grace Brothers with you."

She seemed interested in family talk. Even if hers was not exactly an old line, perhaps she would feel comfortable talking more about herself. "Do you have any traditions with your family, like Christmas? I think that was always my favorite. Even after my parents got divorced, mama and mi brothers always got together for a feast. She's quite a good cook. We call it la Noche Buena. Anyhow, after dinner, we all go to mass together."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:38:24 PM by Dvotchka »

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 05:51:36 PM »
Lorna replaced her wallet to her purse without looking inside.  She didn't want to even think about it till she got home, then she would call the police to make a complaint.  Only half a block more till the parking lot where her car was.  "Your family sounds nice.  We never really did that sort of thing.  Mom and Dad always made sure we sat down at the supper table but it was more to sort out the days finances than to have any sort of family time."  she gave a shrug to dismiss the subject. 

There was a very long silents that passed between the pair.  It was very uncomfortable and Lorna seemed to be gathering her nerve.  "I.... I was thinking about your offer.... for a flight...." she pointed to the sky and what lay beyond the illusion on the dome.  "... out there.  If the offer is still on the table, I think I'd like to take you up on it."

Dvotchka

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »
Javy smiled to her. She clearly didn't like talking much about her family, and changing the subject to a flight was something he could talk about in depth. "Yeah, you know, I think that's not a bad idea at all. If you're ready, we could head to the air-field now. Who knows, you might even sign up for the corps when we're done. Life is very different out there, and you see just how small the world we know is, and just how big it is out there. If you want to skip the shopping trip, we could spend the afternoon on a rocket."

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »
Lorna smiled at Javier's excitement.  She was still very scared of leaving the Macross 15 but had decided the night before that she would give it a try... just this once.  Who knows if she would get another chance and she didn't want to live with the "what if" later on.  Though Javier seemed optimistic, Lorna highly doubted she would join the corps as he hinted.  She had the opportunity to work in the military hospital.  She passed on the opportunity, choosing to work at the civilian hopsital instead.  Somehow she felt it was more rewarding though the pay was less.  "Oh, I doubt I'll be leaving my job any time soon."

The couple came up to the parkade and Lorna pointed out her car.  "Let's skip the shopping trip.  I can go tomorrow when you're working.... maybe I can cook for you tomorrow night.... that is if you've not been transferred to some far off place light years from here." she gave him a teasing wink.  "But I still need to stop by my place and change.... and call about my stolen belongings."

Dvotchka

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »
"Well, while you are tending to your wounds and making your report, I'll call it in and request a VIP flight. They may say no, but all we can do is ask. Sometimes they wave them through with no question, other times they put the brakes on. I don't think you would want either of us going to jail. Oh, and you might call the hospital too, in case you had your ID clipped as well. Those hoods might figure out that they made off with the key to the pharmacy."

He smiled and took a seat in the car. "I don't think you would look good with a service bob. Your hair is fabulous as is, and I'd hate to see it shorn. If they greenlight your flight, then maybe we can get some more later. Something about being in a jet is addictive."

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
Lorna pulled the car door shut and sat back heavily into the drivers seat.  The inside of her car was sparkling clean and polished giving it the feeling that was newer than it really was.  As the purple haired nurse leaded back, the sound of the keys in her had filled the cab.  She sat silently for a moment then let out a sigh.  "I'm not worried about my ID.... I leave it at home when I'm not on duty."

She reached forward and slid the key in the ignition and started her car then shifted it into reverse. Lorna looked over her shoulder then hit the gas.  She shot out of the parking spot.  Before the car was to a complete stop, she already had it in first and was heading for the street.

Dvotchka

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »
"I think you missed your calling. You should maybe have driven the ambulance." He smiled. Speed did not bother him for whatever reason. While keeping his attention on Lorna, he quietly multitasked, looking out the window for the three punks who took her money. They might be glad to have stolen from a nurse at that point.

"Anyhow, we'll take a VA-3D. It's called a Fathead, because it's configured like the old A-6 with dual controls, for familiarization with the control systems. With that big broad canopy, you'll have the best view in the fleet! And a pretty smooth ride to boot."

Dvotchka

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
The drive back to Lorna's house was thankfully uneventful after their busy lunch. She seemed quiet, and Javier decided to give her some peace. The city passed outside the window as they drove. He always marveled how small it looked from beyond the dome. Today, Lorna would get to experience the perspective of just what a small place the city really was. He hoped she would come away from the flight feeling a little better about her life, and how one small pursesnatching was not so bad when one saw the wonders of the galaxy.

When they arrived, he followed her in, the Spaniard required to open doors along the way through his culture. "This is a nice building. I can't say I've ever been in before."

They stopped at her door, and she found her key, which thankfully hadn't been stolen with her other possessions, and watched her unlatch the door.