Author Topic: Tora (Sushi bar)  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Heron

• Major General
  • To err is Human...To forgive, Canine.
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Profile
Tora (Sushi bar)
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:13:56 PM »
Tora's a rundown sushi bar located in one of Central's grittier neighborhoods. It's currently owned by Hattori Hanz?, Macross-15's finest chef, however, he has not made a meal in many years, preferring to let his assistant do the work as he spends his waning days drinking warm sake and thinking about the two swords hanging above his bar.

Hattori is a heavyset man in his mid-sixties. He tends to wear his grey-black hair in a ponytail, under a straw hat. He often wears a green flowered haori over his chef's outfit.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:51:31 PM by Heron »

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Tora (Sushi bar)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:05:04 PM »
Lorna pushed the dirty glass door open and continued her conversation with Rami as she entered the dive. ".... like I said, when I got to the corner, she was gone.  I didn't see anywhere she could of gone and there was no traffic.  I just don't understand."  The purpled haired woman grabbed Rami's arm and lead him through the maze of broken tables and chairs to a booth at the back wall.   The table was dirty so Lorna wiped what she could with a napkin then took a seat.   Lorna knew it would be a while before they got served if they waited so the young woman shouted towards the kitchen.  "Some service Please!"
No my friend, darkness is not everywhere, for here and there I find faces illuminated from within; paper lanterns among the dark trees

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »
Rami was a bit surprised when they entered the restaurant. He did not expect Lorna to be a patron of such a rundown establishment. But, he suspected there was some redeeming quality, so he would keep an open mind.

"Lorna, I realize our initial appointment was to discuss the finer points of interpersonal interchange, but I believe that this mysterious patient of ours is occupying too much of my mental processes." When the server arrived, he immediately ordered some edamame. While Lorna ordred, he scanned the menu and decided on a sashimi sampler tray, a small assortment of rolls, a serving of rice, a bowl of udon, some miso, tempura and a side salad. His tea he drank slowly savoring its bitter aftertaste.

"Her disappearance adds yet more mystery. I am quite certain she's in trouble." With that he pulls out the lab report from his pocket and plugs it into his handheld to review the data. He studies it while sipping the soup and tea, and devouring the beans.
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »
Lorna ordered her usual but did not share Rami's appetite.   Instead the nurse picked at her rice for a while before pushing it away.  "There's got to be something in the scans.  Did you find anything strange or out of the ordinary?"
No my friend, darkness is not everywhere, for here and there I find faces illuminated from within; paper lanterns among the dark trees

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:58:33 PM »
"Well, that's the real mystery. I see no evidence of chemical abnormalities in Ms Moon's chart. She had elevated levels of serotonin, but several other factors indicate she may have been in contact with an MDMA type of recreational drug. But given her profession, such contact doesn't seem out of place. As a matter of fact, the popular strain of Monster Red drinks contain trace amounts of SSRIs." He picks up his noodles and slurps up a giant batch of broth shoveling the udon in along with it. Setting it down and politely wiping some of the residue from his face, he pauses before continuing. "Plus, none of the levels are even approaching toxicity. I believe based on the evidence, or rather, lack of, we're dealing with psychological trauma, maybe even abuse. If we can't find her today, I suggest attending her next performance. I may not be an field officer, but such potential for a citizen to be harmed, I feel it's my duty to help. I would appreciate your assistance, but by no means feel obliged to continue. It is clearly beyond your professional responsibility."

Rami continues to clean up the rest of the delicious food. When the server eventually returns, he orders another pot of tea and offers his heartfelt compliments.
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »
Lorna thought for a moment.  "Well, maybe they didn't inject her with anything.  Maybe they took something instead.  The possibilities are grim and endless what someone might want with a sample of the young ladies DNA."  The nurse popped akappa-maki into her mouth at ate silently for a moment as she thought.  "I'll go with you to the show." with a smile she added, "I think you could use a little help with the social aspect...."  Lorna frowned, "Though lately I'm not doing so well myself.  First Deleria last night and now Sequoya today."  Lorna shook her head thinking of a few others who she seemed to alienate as well.  "It's just not my week."

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
Rami finished up the last grain of rice in his bowl, also making sure there were no noodles left stuck in the udon bowl either. Assured that he had absolutely nothing left to eat, he folded his napkin and lay his chopsticks across the rice bowl. He was done, and satisfied too. It was a delicious meal. He had savored each bite, though he accidentally did get a little too much wasabi at one point.

"Lorna, thank you. I honestly hope I'm not a jinx on your social life. But, I am puzzled. Nothing, absolutely nothing indicates why Ms. Moon would have been hospitalized! I feel compelled to solve this mystery!" Rami took on his most serious demeanor during this little rant. Clearly, the tone and manner in which he spoke were not rehearsed or calculated. This, for a change, was real emotion on his part.
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline Aspen

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
Lorna looked down into her tea for a moment then spoke softly.  "I know that we need to find out what's going on.  Sequoya could be in danger and God knows what she's already gone thought.....  but at some point the authorities need to be involved, and if we get into this to deep before we call them, I'll loose my job."  the reached out her hand and tapped her manicured finger on the screen in front of Rami.  "This alone is enough to put me under review."  The nurse paused.  She sounded more concerned about her own skin that the young woman that they were trying to help.  "That didn't come out right....look, all I'm saying is that I tried to point this out to the head nurse in the ward Sequoya was in.  she brushed it off and told me to forget it.  Eather people high up don't care or are involved themselves.  We won't be in any possion to help Sequoya if I loose my job.  Do you know anyone who can help us?  Or any way we can go about this without getting caught?"  Lorna bit her lip.  this whole thing wasn't likely to end well for her, but she wasn't ready to give up on finding out what was really going on at the hospital.

Offline Alaras

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »
A young man of 25 who was in the restaurant heard the two conversing about something going wrong in the hospital.  After eavesdropping a while longer, he walked over to them.  "Excuse me, but I happen to be a reporter.  If you two could give me all the info you can on these cases, I'll get it published.  This kind of stuff sells, after all.  I promise that none of you will be named, and I will exclude ALL identifying details."

EDIT: Forget what I said about not being able to post.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:26:08 AM by Alaras »

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
Rami, with his back to the reporter, turns around with a retort on the tip of his tongue regarding invasion of privacy and several other legally based arguments about interrupting a private conversation. But they all die before he opens his mouth. He is taken aback at the young reporter. His heart jumps into his mouth, blocking the passage of words. Instead he lets out a stammer and a mutter. Then he shuts his mouth and stares for a second.

"Uh, I'm Rami, nice to meet you..." it's all he can manage to get out before blushing a little, but it's barely noticeable against his olive skin.

Lorna can tell his blood pressure is clearly elevated, and can see the blood in his cartoid artery pulse at an increased rate. Clearly something has got the boy excited...
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline Alaras

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
So, he goes that way, I suppose!  "Marc Erian.  It's a pleasure to meet you."  He tried to sound as charming as possible, shaking Rami's hand with a firm grip.  "So, can you tell me more about these disappearances?  I do have a few contacts who might be able to help, but I need as much data as possible before I can start to check for leads."

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
Touching the reporter's hand did bring Rami a little bit back to reality. "Mr. Erian, pleasure. But the only one who disappeared is a friend of ours who, well, in a fit, ran off and did not join us for lunch. She had been a patient at the hospital we both work at. Her boyfriend was not being very sympathetic to her condition, and when we tried to point out that he was just using her, well, she became irate. And failed to join us for lunch."

He was trying everything he could think of to divert the attention of this young reporter. While infatuated with him, Rami could detect that ruthless quality that defines an investigator. He himself has been known to bulldog a case, pushing the limits of his relationships to get to the bottom of a mystery. Separating himself from his emotions, Rami struggles to persuade the reporter that they are up to nothing.

"My friend and I may have engaged in bit of dramatic license, you see, our missing compatriot is known to flights of fancy and excess drama. So when we jest about her latest bout, well, as you can surely imagine, we tend to wax a bit into the realm of absurdity." Rami thinks he's on the right track, but such falsehoods are against his nature, so many things could go wrong.

"Now, we were just about to finish up here, our lunch hour is nearing it's end, but, if you would favor me with your contact information, I may be able to provide you some leads in the future. I am only a volunteer at the hospital, but I'm the Crime Lab Technician at SIU. As long as the information is public access, I can provide you with expert testimony or opinions if you require."
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline Alaras

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 01:19:43 PM »
"Nice try, but I already heard the entire conversation, and it doesn't sound like hyperbole to me.  I also happen to be a fan of Sequoya Moon, and heard about what happened, though I couldn't go to her concert.  Still, I would like to talk with you someplace more intimate, just the two of us, and preferably NOT about what you've been discussing.  Take my card, at the very least.  I'd like to see you again."  He hands Rami a business card that says "Marc Erian, Investigative Reporter, Fleet XV Tribune" with a contact number, email address, after adding a handwritten private number and email on the back, along with the phrase "I know you want me, and it's mutual".  "Call me anytime.  I'm looking forward to seeing you again.  Oh, and if you decide it isn't just hyperbole, let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:13:20 PM by Alaras »

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »
Rami accepts the card gracefully, grasping it with both hands and carefully holding it a second before pulling out his business card holder and placing it inside. He notices the writing on the back but doesn't immediately read it.

"I assure you Mr. Erian, our conversation holds no secrets for you. However, I do believe we will see each other again." He offers his hand to Erian, and gives him a firm handshake before turning to Lorna.

"Shall we depart, it will be tight to get back to our duties." He holds out a hand to assist Lorna up (politely, he's trying to be a gentleman here). Stepping past Erian, the duo heads out and into Lorna's car.

Rami slumps into the passenger seat. As soon as they are on the road, his words pour out,"Lorna, my goodness. That was uncomfortable. First, I respect your position and your employment status. I will not jeopardize your livelihood any further. The removal of records off site was a gross violation. However, I believe we do need some sort of leverage to get to the bottom of this. I will return the records to my office, but I will also formally log evidence of duplicated tests. I believe there is sufficient data in the system from the brief scan to support this info tag. Anyway... Even I know appearances can be misleading, and that reporter! He was something to look at," Taking out the business card and reading the back, "hummph. So much for romance. That man is interested in only one thing. And I am not willing to just provide that at just a business card exchange." Despite his stern words, Rami places the card back in the holder and returns it to his breast pocket.
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline Heron

• Major General
  • To err is Human...To forgive, Canine.
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »
As the story has shifted away from TORA, I'm locking it until there is a need for again.