Author Topic: City XV -- Cafe Bomber  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Alaras

• Major General
    • View Profile
Re: City XV -- Cafe Bomber
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
"Thanks for the offer, but I think I've had enough to drink tonight.  Ellen, please cut me off now!  I want to be able to do a few more songs, after all."  Alaras chuckled a bit after that last comment before continuing to talk with Irina.  "By the way, about Jack,  the lawsuit happened because he refused to sleep with his publicist, and she decided to get revenge.  The judge threw it out, but Jack's legal bill was outrageous.  Oh, and nowadays, I tend towards either whiskey or vodka, served in a water glass, filled to the brim with the sweet elixir.  By the way, are you too plastered to play piano well right now?  If not, could you help me out by playing an accompaniment for me?"  He handed Irina some sheet music for three songs, hoping she'd be willing to oblige.  "Maybe we can form a band again with some of the old squad, see if we can get Cole in as our drummer, and take over the fleet with our sheer awesomeness!"

Dvotchka

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
" Good, Eff that McCalley. He's a zhopkik anyhow. And I don;t think I feel like playing piano anymore. I think I would see 176 keys. My mood is not very great now, too." she drained her next vodka and ordered another. The waitress looked a bit skeptical and looked to Alaras before complying. "I only want to play with one person, and she's in the back of someone elses valkyrie living a mundane life. You sure you don't want another drink? I think they have Boone's Farm here."

Offline Alaras

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »
Alaras chugged his vodka down and said "Yeah, I'm sure.  Any more and I won't be able to play my guitar, and I have a few more melancholy tunes to strum out."  At that moment, Alaras's stomach grumbled loudly.  "Heh, that's the other reason I wanted to stop drinking.  I'd rather not take it on an empty stomach.  Ellen, could you get me a Basara Burger wrap and a side of fries with vinegar?  Thanks!"  He then turned back to Irina and said "Well, I guess I'll sing a couple more songs before my food's ready.  When I get back, let's drink to the good old days, ok?"  He walked back up to the stage with the borrowed guitar, scanning the cafe for a certain person's face.  Upon seeing him, he spoke into the microphone.  "This one goes out to a certain someone in the audience.  You know who you are."  He then, rather than strum the guitar, called for silence and sang acapella.

I say I'll move the mountains
And I'll move the mountains
(...)
Crazy in love am I
Crazy in love am I...

As he expected, there was no applause, merely a reverent silence, then followed by soft applause, not unlike that which might be offered at some snooty bastard's high tea.  Alaras looked out again, seeing the same man's face in the crowd.  He took a breath, and started strumming his guitar to lead into his next song...

EDIT: removal of excessive lyrics.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:48:29 AM by Sketchley »

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 12:41:36 AM »
And... That's when the house lights come on and the manager walks onto the stage:

"Sorry folks, open mic is done, we've got to set up for the next act. I'm sure you'll all want to stay around for the John Cage Tribute Cactus Band! The only band in the Known Universe to use cacti as instruments!"

[If you don't believe me about this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplified_cactus and yes, I have seen it performed live. Dvotchka and Alaras - please feel free to start a GWiNS thread for where these two go next! Or take over the stage again, whatever, I just wanted to mix it up a bit.]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:27:12 AM by jwlyon1 »
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline Alaras

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »
"Screw it.  I'm going to that concert at the stadium.  Cacti were not meant to be musical instruments.". With that, Alaras left.

Dvotchka

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
"Oooh, cactus. That sounds like tequila. Hey I wonder if they are playing rain sticks or what." Rina laughed and thought about ordering a tequila. It would probably go too far, and she would end up puking. Not a wise choice. Minka rolled onto her back in Rina's lap revealing a furry tummy. Unlike most cats, she did not object to soft belly-rubs. The cat was getting sleepy, and so was Rina. She would stay for a cactus song or two, then head on home. She watched Alaras leave and laughed.

"Boy needs to keep an open mind." she mused.

Offline jwlyon1

• GM
  • Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
Three decidedly nerdy gents move onto the small stage, each carrying two or three potted cactus. They set the succulents down and go back for more gear returning with high-tech amps, ancient looking cords and a lot of gaff tape. It's art almost just watching them set up -- abstract art for sure though. But they time their done, maybe twenty minutes have gone by, the set up is like no other band in the known galaxy, the one concession to modernity a small computer sitting atop a stool, with many or the cables hooked up to it. Each musician has a rolling stool, and is surrounded by their cactus. The band "leader" stands in front with a tall and extremely phallic plant full of long spines. He's holding a smaller round cactus with clusters of short stiff spines in one hand with a violin bow in the other. Next to him, a short plump man sits on his stool one hand on the computer the other gently brushing the spines of three identical bifurcated cactus, the spines faint twanging audible even without amplification. The final band member is a micronized zentran with grey skin and green hair, sitting crosslegged on the ground holding a 12" pot cradled in his lap. To his right and left are smaller pots, each with star-shaped flowering cactus, the 12" pot has a bulbous furry-bristled plant. His face is stern and serious, the padded mallets held aloft waiting to beat on the round plant.

The leader taps the microphone, "Test test? Okay, what we have here, is not an arranged piece of music, what we'll be performing is a collaboration between all of us, the cactus as much involved creatively as the rest of us. I'm Adeen, to my left is Ichiro, and to my right is Eins. Now, if you'll bring down the lights." The room goes dark, mostly, the stage is still visible with the performers dark shadows moving. Lorne's voice can be heard again, "Ichiro, do you have control?" The short man's voice is surprisingly deep, his response almost booms throughout the cafe, "Yes. We are ready. I am in control of the system. On my mark. Three, two, one, MARK."

All three of the performers dive onto the cactus, the disco ball coming to life filling the room with sparkling, moving points of light. The sounds coming from the cactus are strangely rhythmic, although some describe the sound "a squirrel scrabbling on a metal roof in a hail storm". For ten minutes straight, the trio bends, bonks, plinks, plunks,  plugs, strums, massages, even bites the various cactus before showing any sign of pausing.
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Dvotchka

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 06:57:35 PM »
An inebriated Rina can do no more or no less than laugh. The band was not good, but they loved to play. It reminded her a bit of Devo, only without the flower pot hats and keyboards. She stirred the remains of her beverage and applauded when all was said and done. In the end, she could only wait for the next tune. This place wasn't so bad. At least you could see jerky acts like these guys.