Poll

What type of game would the membership like this to ultimately end up being?

standard VF squadron
3 (60%)
non-standard VF squadron; with special skills (not necessarily military), but are still considered to be front-line standard troops
1 (20%)
elite, special forces squadron - the best of the best
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 20, 2011, 11:08:26 AM

Author Topic: Coming soon... but first, what direction to head in?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Coming soon... but first, what direction to head in?
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
The setting:

In the year 2050, the M15 established an emigrant planet (colony) and spent the next few years helping the fledgling emigrant planet get on its fleet.  Thereafter, it undertook the multi-year return trip to Earth, for refurbishing.  Shortly after refurbishing was completed, the fleet set sail once more in the direction that the fleet had initially set out in, a couple of decades earlier.

In the year 2065*, the M15 fleet is heading toward the emigrant planet it established, to check up on it and to pick up supplies before continuing into uncharted space.  As the fleet nears the emigrant planet, the old conflict that everyone thought had been put to bed 15 years ago, restarts.

About the options (it's more a game-play style question then a "what kinds of missions and equipment do they get" question):
standard squad - relaxed, more-or-less anything goes.  Brass doesn't expect much from them, so they have a loose leash.
non-standard squad - basically the same as a standard squad, but the brass expects more from them due to their skill set.
elite squad - hard core.  Brass expects a lot, and there's a tight leash, especially on discipline.

... and of course, there may be other options that I haven't considered.  Feel free to post them.

* Why this year?  To take advantage of the information on the VF-25 and related YF-24 Evolution crafts that's in the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah book; which is purportedly published in 2065.05!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:08:40 PM by Sketchley »

Offline Halley

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
Re: Coming soon... but first, what direction to head in?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:52:16 AM »
Personally, i like the idea of the squadron of the last chance boys that the pheoenix hawk (i think) was showing, or something multirole and without obligatory standard recent aircraft. Or something else like a spiritia squadron. In a word: I like it when it's non-standard! :)
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

- A Test Pilot on New Edwards Base

Offline hegemon

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. General
  • dare you look at my avatar?
    • View Profile
Re: Coming soon... but first, what direction to head in?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »
An alternitive could be a mix of the three, have the campaign like a multi focus movie or novel, where each mission see's a different squadron take the spotlight.

say the first mission is a deep space patrol, this would see "Knights of the tawniness", the standard squad, being played, next mission may be a attack on a enemy position where the "mediocre gunslingers", a non-standard squad, etc.