Author Topic: Green Room - Gossip, OOC speculations, Off Topic Distractions...  (Read 19446 times)

Offline jwlyon1

• Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
Green Room - Gossip, OOC speculations, Off Topic Distractions...
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »
This is the "catch all" thread for everything else...
Also, post changes to your availability here, like if you're going out of town or your brother is coming to visit or something...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:32:51 AM by jwlyon1 »
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline hygog

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Green Room - Gossip, OOC speculations, Off Topic Distractions...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
This is my first time playing this kind of online RPG.  Do you guys try to keep the "thoughts" fairly minimal and focus on observable actions or do you kind of go for an omniscient point of view?

Offline aythati

• Hero of the MRG
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
I have not done this very much either, for the most part I only write my char's thoughts, actions and his interpretation of whats going on. I include thoughts mainly for the Ref, so he has a good idea of what my intentions are. While it could be interesting and fun for other players to misconstrue my intentions, having the Ref not knowing what I want to do can be disastrous. Likewise I act only from description that my char can "see and hear" and ignore the thoughts of other characters.

So I write kinda from a first person perspective thoughts and all, but written in third person form since I don't like writing in first person, hope that answers your question.

Offline kuro_zero

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
*EDIT*
Umm, basically what aythati said
*/EDIT

I don't think I go quite so far as to try to have an omniscient point of view - its really no fun when everyone knows everything.

In character I write in third person simply because its really jarring to have 7 "I's" in one sentence. More of a personal writing style than anything related to RPing. On that note I do try to keep the observations fairly focused on my character itself, but I admit I do embellish a bit for dramatic effect. If I cross a line and put words in your character's actions or thoughts that I shouldn't let me know.

Lastly, "thoughts" are good for cinematic effect (and humor) or else it'll read like a play-by-play of a sports game or something. Also to convey to the Ref what a character's intentions are so their actions have some context.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:51:10 PM by kuro_zero »

Offline jwlyon1

• Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »
I think putting thoughts down really helps. I'm pretty new to this format too, my first time running a game this way. I think the advantages are that you can add that narrative flourish and go a little more in depth without hogging up table time. It does move a bit slower though, but I think its a good trade off.

Also, the better the description, the more into the game I get. So the first interchange over on the game thread really was fabulous as an example.

My .02crowns.
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline hygog

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:11:59 PM »
Cool.  That's kinda the vibe I was getting.

Offline aythati

• Hero of the MRG
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 01:29:12 AM »
a question on our unit

Is our little squad on a high profile mission, where our every move is being scrutinized for the media and public? Having press conferences would be kinda fun.

Offline kuro_zero

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:55:03 AM »
Seems this L'shan drug is becoming pretty pervasive so wondering exactly what are its effects? Hallucinogen, depressant, stimulant, symptoms, side-effects? Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of opium.

Offline jwlyon1

• Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:55:24 AM »
Not yet. But believe me all the spotlight you crave and more is in your future according to the spirits...  :twisted:
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline jwlyon1

• Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 02:01:30 AM »
Seems this L'shan drug is becoming pretty pervasive so wondering exactly what are its effects? Hallucinogen, depressant, stimulant, symptoms, side-effects? Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of opium.

L'shan is like crack and smack rolled together. Its also mildly hallucinogenic, with rumors of radically mind altering trips in very rare cases. Combine that with a relatively easy refining process and you get trouble! It can be used in less refined forms, just like opium and cocaine, but with less potency than the refined variety.

Overall though, truly long term effects are unknown. Think of the crack epidemic in the early 80s. That will give you an idea of L'Shan's position in society. Or just go watch Scarface!

[Edit] Processes L'shan is an orange flake, When it's dry, it has very little odor. When wet, it gets a cloying, spicy sweet smell that is very distinct. In this form a mild high can be obtained by just ingesting it. The most potent way to take it though is to use a hookah or a smaller pipe. The L'shan is put in the pipe bowl with a small amount of water (about .1 ml water to 5 grams of L'shan) and heating it until it crystallizes. Continued heat releases very strong fumes from the crystals which are then inhaled. The resulting gas reaches the bloodstream and brain almost instantly. The resulting high is incredibly addictive.

In it's raw form, L'shan is the leaf-like stamen of a hardy tropical orchid. It can be chewed in that form for mild effect. Dried and ground it becomes even more potent. But if the dried form is put in a salt water solution and the water boiled off, the resulting compound is the well known orange flake of the street drug. [Edit]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:19:01 PM by jwlyon1 »
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline jwlyon1

• Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:02:04 AM »
I need to call it a night, but it's super rad to see everyone on the board right now!!!
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM

Offline kuro_zero

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:04:50 AM »
Ya, is pretty cool. Great start too, having a great time with this.

Offline aythati

• Hero of the MRG
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 03:52:23 AM »
Ya, is pretty cool. Great start too, having a great time with this.
yeah it has been a great start

I need to call it a night, but it's super rad to see everyone on the board right now!!!

yeah pretty much it for me too, really need to get some sleep as well. Nice to see everyone on too.

Offline aythati

• Hero of the MRG
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 05:11:16 AM »
I'm wondering if my character have served for long periods of time on kalia? or is it just "one of those islands" that a few battles took place on, of which i barely recollect?

Offline jwlyon1

• Lt. General
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »
Actually, yes I was hoping you'd bring this up. It would be great if you had spent time on Kalia. At least one campaign happened their you were part of. You don't remember much in detail, it was mostly steep, hot and dangerous.

Aryris knows a bit about K-arc, having spent several vacations there.

Marie knows the islands politcal history and government in depth, but this is her first trip.
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM