Author Topic: Group Campaign Anyone?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Jet Jockey

• General
  • Just Watch Jet Jockey In Action!
    • View Profile
Group Campaign Anyone?
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »
Tossing this out to the general membership

MACROSS RPG GALAXIES had its origin in a Group Campaign.  One of the benefits of this site has been the ability for Game Masters to freely run their Own Campaigns how they see fit.  Doing that has been fun but I've been pushing behind the scenes for another Group Campaign.  At first there was interest among the staff but they also start having some small disagreements and moved on to other things.  They are slow going back to this idea.  I want to see if the general membership would be interested in a Group Campaign.  If they are I hope it will encourage the staff here to take another look at getting one going again.

Why should we have a Group Campaign?

It will expand the world of you characters beyond a single squadron.   This will be a world populated with more PCs to interact with & not more NPCs.   That other Squadron on the same ship are now another Game played by real people.

It will provide Game Masters with more Support.   Game Masters can help other Game Masters by acting as supporting NPCs.  They can also act a sub GM when one goes on vacation or has to take a break.

It will create a bigger feeling of unity & you'll learn more about games outside of the one your in.  You will be able to make another character for a different game in the campaign and won't have to worry about having to play the "what's going on" catch up.

It will be more appealing to New Players.   They have to play an even bigger game of "What's going on" catch up.   Game Master will have the support of other Game Masters who can work with these new players.

For the last couple of months I've been wanting to play & start doing another game.   Easy thing for me to do is another Pet Project.  I thought about what would be best for the boards as a whole.   I think something like a Group Project that is rewarding to all as better another Pet Project.   I am not against Pet Projects.  I enjoy them.   Right now I want to put my efforts into a Group Project and then try Pet ones again.   

Members of the MRG would you be interested in a Group Campaign?
"Why would Anglia Jolie adopt my son when I offered to make one with her the natural way?"

Offline aythati

• Hero of the MRG
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Group Campaign Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
I would be interested in being a helper GM, good chance to get a grasp of the setting.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
The Sketchley is interested in the group campaign.  Both as the player and the GM.

Offline hegemon

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. General
  • dare you look at my avatar?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »
thirded, :)

Offline gasstank

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
I'm down. This sounds like fun.

Offline Halley

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »
Notify my interest :)
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

- A Test Pilot on New Edwards Base

Offline Jet Jockey

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »
To give a little feel how this would work.   At first it would start on a small scale like two sister squadrons on the same ship or base.  You might have something like two squadrons of 3-5 players and GM each.  Both GMs and third GM bouncing around between both squadrons playing supporting NPCs.   When it is time to grow that third GM runs the 3rd Squadron. 
"Why would Anglia Jolie adopt my son when I offered to make one with her the natural way?"

Offline Jet Jockey

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
Okay after few days I see 3 new members who are interested in addition to the 4 who talking about among the staff.   Spilt in half that's 2 Sister Squadrons of 3.5 (including the GMs) each.   It is a small start but you're always bound to get a couple people by time you (& if) you start things.   

I'm gonna cross post this in the staff boards to show there is some interest. 

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
I am going to tentatively say I am interested in playing a game, yes, though I would like to see plot proposals first as well as how many people we get.  In the immediate I do not have time to participate as GM in the initial wave, but time may tell.

Offline Jet Jockey

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »
Since all the Staff who talk about it are still interested the next step for them is to look at the the complied Guidelines for running such a game that is still on the staff boards.  It was all the stuff we talked about.   Look it over.  If we are in agreement that those are the guidelines we're gonna use the next part is coming up with the Plot Proposal.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »
Done.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
Updates:

ETA of this is approximately 4 to 8 weeks.  Us GMs are busy hammering out the details.

Some definite details:
- set post Macross Frontier
- There's going to be two games (squadrons) at start: 1 NUNS (New Unified Space Forces), 1 PMC (Private Military Company)

As we're busy with the details coming up with a bunch of cool stuff, we don't have the time to complete all the things needed to get this off the ground smoothly at launch.  Which is where you, the members come in:

Generic Character Generation System: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2768.0
We'd like to use it for the group campaign.  At the very least, it'll provide common ground for when characters from the different games interact with each other.
The basics of it are largely completed.  However, there needs to be some fine tuning ("play testing" feedback), as well as additional Main and Auxiliary skill packages.

Any help is appreciated.  And if you're interested in having a PC in the group campaign, this is a chance to tweak the PC creation system in your favour.  ;)

Discussion thread here: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2763.0

Thanks.