Author Topic: Pangea War Mekton (Basic "Hey, what do you think?" topic the Third)  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Sabersonic

• Captain
    • View Profile
This topic is more or less to see if there are those interested in this strange setting that came about after watching that new Fox Show Terra Nova and teasers for that sci-fi comedy Iron Sky. As the title of the campaign suggests, the basic ruleset for this RP Campaign will be that of the Mekton Zeta game engine though with some house rules that might prove to make for an interesting game. However, they will be held off until enough interest in this game idea arises to warrant further development and refinement of this idea.

Late in the twenty-fifth century of the Common Era Calendar, the United Federation of Earth Nations created a space-time fracture after an accident with its Large Hadron Collider. After early expeditions, it was discovered that the space-time fracture lead into a parallel Earth that was only 4.362 billion years old or 178 million years in the past. Not only that, but that it was a "hub world" for inter-universal travel to multiple other parallel earths, each with their own unique history and evolution and that their home world was once a hub as well in the distant past before its own dimensional barriers had hardened and isolated all but its nearest hub world.

They had also discovered that they were not the only ones to explore this world.

Upon another Earth, the year was 1939 of the Anno Domini Calendar and Nazi Germany was at its peacetime peak technologically and economically in a world where computators are commonplace enough to allow accelerated design and development of machinery, vehicles, and weapons and prop planes were slowly phased out by jet aircraft and rocket planes along with many other technology showcases that was imagined in pulp fiction adventure serials. They lead the world in military technology and tactics in not only armored warfare, but also in combat walkers. It was through its nuclear research on the first of September did the Nazis created their own space-time fracture that lead into a virgin world rich in resources for their own war machine.

War was inevitable.

Ten years had past since the initial encounter and both the United Federation and Axis Powers have entrenched themselves upon this hub world, with the Nazi dominated Laurasia to the north and the United Federation occupies Gondwana to the south. The rugged, jungle terrain of the Jurassic Hub World proved ideal for the tactical deployment of both the diesel punk walkers of the Axis and the hydrogen fuel cell-gas turbine hybrid powered mechs of the United Federation. Though the United Federation's mechs were technologically superior with greater access to more efficient firepower, the diesel punk walkers were easier to maintain out on the field that required little, if any, specialized mechanics training on part of the soldiers themselves.

Even the Nazis were able to replicate the nuclear "accident" with the components they have brought over from their own world that allowed for two-way travel while the United Federation struggled to construct their terrestrial Large Hadron Collider to allow more efficient logistical support to the front. These and many other factors have made the belligerent parties strategically equal in this conflict between parallel worlds upon a border hub that is officially called the First Interdimensional War.

To the soldier on the ground, it was simply though incorrectly called the Pangea War.

Not sure if it should be straight serious or add in a few nods to that old toyline/cartoon Dino Riders.
Anywho, any one interested in the idea? Questions? Anything?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:13:07 AM by Sabersonic »

Offline Sabersonic

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Pangea War Mekton (Basic "Hey, what do you think?" topic the Third)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »
Thorea's a bot isn't it?

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »
Yeah.  It appears that way with the last two posts.

Member is now banned.

Offline Sabersonic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:10:35 AM »
Thanks Sketchy, it's rather distracting on a "Hey, what do you think?" topic when the only reply is through an accursed hack-bot.

Which means that there's absolutely no interest in my above Mekton campaign. Oh well.....

Speaking of which, familiar with OVA?
http://www.wiseturtle.com/

I tried to turn it into a hyperlink, but apparently the board controls aren't cooperating with me..... Then again, I am using Windows Edge so maybe that's it......
Oh, wait, nevermind, it does it automatically if I just type in the address.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 01:51:27 AM »
I, for one, have never used Mekton nor have I seen 'Terra Nova.' Still, your concept sounds interesting.  If you can get enough people, I would not mind joining.  You'd have to help me understand the game mechanics, though. :)

~~ Marc

Offline Sabersonic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:08:03 AM »
I'll try to answer as best as I can.

For Terra Nova, it was a canceled sci-fi show on Fox way back in the day. Here's a trailer to the show:
Basically it involves twenty-second humans colonizing an alternate prehistoric earth filled with dinosaurs and dealing with a conspiracy that would ultimately strip mine said world for profit. Basically Avatar but with dinosaurs.

For Mekton, it was one of the earliest Tabletop simulations of mecha anime. At the moment, I'm waiting for the Mekton Zero package to be shipped after I backed it:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1888572386/mekton-zero

For be basic mechanics of Mekton Zeta (which so far customized and scratch-built Mektons/Mecha could only be done in such a fashion until the inevitable Mekton Zero Plus book comes out), let me find that book- Wait, I don't need to do that. There's a free PDF available.
http://www.mektonzeta.com/downloads/MektonAlpha.pdf

That should help one get stated to understand Mekton Zeta. If you got further inquiries, feel free to ask, though I have to be honest it's been a while since I last touched Mekton Zeta.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:41:32 AM »
I know of 'Terra Nova.' I saw commercials for it back when it was on. It looked like a military version of the old 'Lost World' concept. But I could be wrong.

I know of Mekton, too.  The Macross 2050 game uses a mix of that and Shadowrun, as I recall. I took a look it a long while back aaaand it mostly confused me. I'll download the pdf if I can. The internet here sucks.  And by 'sucks' I mean it is a wireless 83 kb/s connection, drops constantly, and can't even load the Google.com; I can probably hit a library, though. They at least get 200 k/s.

That still leaves the issue of finding players. That may be the hard part.

EDIT:  Oh, wait.  I actually have a copy of Mekton Zeta. It was even in the few books I have with me.  I guess now I don't have an excuse not to read it, huh?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:48:01 AM by InfernosCaress »

Offline Sabersonic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 02:52:06 AM »
During the first episode and last two, it does have that feel. In between, it turned into a kind of family-crime drama with dinosaurs as set pieces.
Episodes are available on Hulu last I checked, though it'll probably require a healthy broadband connection to do so: http://www.hulu.jp/terra-nova/en

The rules are quite simple really and only uses two dice type at best, the real doozy is in the Mekton Construction and Customization portion.

As for finding players, yeah that's gonna be an issue. Last time I was active on this forum was about five years ago and even longer when I last participated in a Mekton Macross campaign that I basically got lost due do I have no idea what.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 03:34:20 AM »
I am picture dinosaurs in stylish suits with tommy guns. That should be a thing.

Yeah, broadband would be nice. I had it back home, but not here. I have yet to find a positive trait to Austin, Texas, USA.

Only two dice is good because math is not my strong suit. Any of my childhood report cards can verify that.

Well, I have been here for a week or so.  Thus far it has pretty much been you, Sketchley, and the bot. I had high hopes for a website with 'Macross RPG' in the title. I probably should have known better.

Now, you must excuse me.  It is 1:30 and I have to get up at 4.

Offline Sabersonic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 03:48:40 AM »
Somehow I'm pretty sure there's an 80s-90s Saturday Morning Cartoon that had just a set up. No idea what though beyond that Eeek! The Cat spin-off toon Terrible Thunderlizards:

Yeah, the d6 is for calculating damage while the d10 is for, well, everything else.

Probably needs more publicity and advertisements. How, haven't the foggiest.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
Probably back when Saturday had morning cartoons.  And I would have watched it, too. Back in my day, it was Garfield and Ghostbusters. The good Ghostbusters, not the one with the gorilla.

I can't load videos. Youtube is a Google company and we don't get Google here, remember?

D6 and D10? That is more than I have fingers!

I advertise.  Doesn't really work, but I do it anyway.

Offline Sabersonic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »
Ah, yes, the "REAL" Ghostbusters based off the first film. Though it kinda makes one wonder if there'll be a toon based off the all-female reboot.

Would Daily Motion work?

D6 is basically your standard die type that you find in every board game that involves rolling dice. D10 is a bit more specialized, but not as bad as D12 or even D20.

Yeah, I don't know that many folks online who are willing to take a chance on another forum. I can take a whack, but I doubt it'll be successful.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »
Actually, the cartoon with the gorilla was based off the original film. The movie that people think of as 'Ghostbusters' had to pay for usage of the name.

The girl team film seems to use some of the equipment from 'Extreme Ghostbusters'. Maybe that counts?

With this internet connection, I would not trust any video.  It takes forever to load a jpg.

I know about dice. I was just messing with you. I have played RPGs since DnD 2nd Edition was new. Granted, not so much lately, but the experience is there.

Yeah, I know what you mean.It is worth a shot, whatever it is a shot goes for these days.