Author Topic: MRG going away...  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
MRG going away...
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
The MRG as we know it will be disappearing some time after May 11, 2012 (if last year's pattern holds true, it'll be gone by the 19th).

The action plan, as I know it, is:
- a new forum will be created using the current URL on a different ISP.
- it's unknown when we'll be able to get the current URL from the current ISP
- when the new forum is created, it'll be using different BB software.

An effort has been undertaken to preserve the game posts in some form with the new ISP.  However, non-game related sections are not part of those preservation efforts (E.g.: general discussion, announcements, stats discussion, character creation and so on won't be preserved.)

Due to that, it's recommended that you make back-ups of such important things as your PC character sheets, etc..

Offline Jet Jockey

• General
  • Just Watch Jet Jockey In Action!
    • View Profile
Re: MRG going away...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
I dl a off line browser & currently dl a copy of site. 300 mb so far and still downloading.

Shall we start collecting current emails?

Maybe get a free blog or twitter account to keep members informed during the move?
"Why would Anglia Jolie adopt my son when I offered to make one with her the natural way?"

Offline Jet Jockey

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
Scratch the dl a copy of the site for myself I was at 600mb when I decided it was time to quit.  I'll copy just my favorite pages.
"Why would Anglia Jolie adopt my son when I offered to make one with her the natural way?"

Offline gasstank

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »
I'd like to request someplace for status updates. I know I'm not the most active player but I would like to pick back up once things are operational again.

Offline Dyson

• Lt. General
  • Luck is one of my skills!
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8926537&Mytoken=20
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
JJ, what program are you using to offline backup the forum? I remember when we used to use WebExtractor (I think that's what it was) YEARS ago. I may be able to help save material from the board.
If mice could swim they would float with the tide and play with the fish; Down by the seaside, the cats on the shore would quickly agree.

Offline gasstank

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
Can't you just FTP into the host server and backup the entire site?

Offline gasstank

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
I believe I've found your host provider's steps for doing this is you're interested in trying. The instructions are for uploading but it should be the same steps for downloading.

Offline Dyson

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8926537&Mytoken=20
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »
I went through and saved any character sheet that I had posted that was GM approved. I'm glad too, because the only ones I did have were originals and if I had a character return, I'd have to go through the editing approval process all over again.
If mice could swim they would float with the tide and play with the fish; Down by the seaside, the cats on the shore would quickly agree.

Offline gasstank

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
Anyway here's the steps for backing up an SMF Forum. If you need any assistance please feel free to contact me. Do we have any idea on how large the database is? I can volunteer to backup everything but I'll need some sort of admin permission for the site. I can understand if the site admins would feel more comfortable doing this themselves but the offer is there is needed.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup_-_How_do_I_save_my_SMF_forum

Host site's FTP connection directions:

Solution First you will need to download the free FTP program, filezilla from http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Once you have that installed, open it up. Below the menu and icon bar at the top of the screen are 4 boxes.

In the first box enter your domain name.
    In the second box enter your control panel user name
    In the third box enter your control panel password.
    Finally click connect at the end of the bar.

Below the connection bar is the status window - this shows the communication between your pc and the server. Below this is the file manager.

The left side is your pc, the right side is the server. Navigate to your website files on the left side. On the right side navigate to httpdocs (windows) or public_html (linux). You can then select all your files and folders on the left and drag them to the right to upload them.

Please Note: Filezilla does not always update the server files listing. If you upload or delete a file and it still shows pressing F5 will update the listing with your changes.

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
I have already started making a memorial archive of all MRG posts.  My time has been severely limited, and I ask that noone edit anything on the memorial yet.  Still, if anyone wants links, pm me.  GM Staff, I'll have those links to you shortly.

Offline aythati

• Hero of the MRG
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »
Sorry to see this site go. But glad we're  gonna have a new place to move to. I second a method to keep the members updated during the move.

Offline Dyson

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:46:07 AM »
Got all I want saved, about 150mb worth including certain games that I was fond of, character sheets of mine and others I was in games with, stats discussion, etc., etc.

EDIT: Ok, I've saved about 100mb+ more stuff, maybe I'll think of other stuff to save...all kinds of hidden treasures here and there, haha
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:04:15 AM by Dyson »

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »
Status update:

The good news: CvD's archive is well under way.
The bad news: the new host of the MRG hasn't been decided yet.

I'd like to say that the final details are being polished off, but... it turns out we're a bit further from our goal than I thought.

If you'd like to assist, PM me.  Thanks.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »
macrossroleplay.org is now gone.  Long live the New-MRG!

Funny thing is that http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/ is still accessible.  I expect it to be gone within the next few days, too.

19th... did I call it!

Offline Jet Jockey

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
That Unsd one is gone too.