Author Topic: Translation Discussion Thread  (Read 15721 times)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Re: Translation Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »
Yeah, that was where I was looking.  A lot of pages to Tables Of Contents but with only the Tables present.  You already know that, of course. The point is that it takes some sifting and not as a complaint.

I'd like to make it a bit more navigable, but, well, it all boils down to (free) time* and the goal of the site.  The latter is easier to explain: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/About.php

Also, as the site is operating in a legal grey area (the 'derivative work' of Japanese copyright law.  In other words: the same legal mechanism that doujinshi operate under), there's a fine line between what I can and can't do (eg: scans are a no-no).  Coupled with the aforementioned 'about' - I've arrived at the current site structure.  It's slowly being tweaked, but as the content takes precedent over the layout...

* expanding a bit on this: I've spent the past 3 to 4 years updating the pages on it to php format with headers and footers (to make it quick and easy to update broken/dead links).  I'm in the 5th or 6th year of converting the translations from message board posts to webpages, too...

The Cat-Snakes I only saw mentioned that they were symbiotically bound to the humanoid Zolans. It did not say how nor why. Maybe they go in the pouch like Trills on 'Star Trek'.

There was a bit more on them that I remember translating - it might have been in an "extra report" on one of the episode sheets.  Something about them being able to read the ancient language of the Zolans, and telepathically communicating that information to the person they're bound to.  (as I don't have a No-bots script on my site, I recommend Googling.  Though, you'll have to use the correct terminology I've used, and not the common (and oft inaccurate) jargon that English speaking fans use).

On a semi-related note, in the previous episode of Delta, they had Mikumo in one of those tubes from Frontier.  Her nude lower half was exposed. She doesn't have any female parts; she is sooth like a doll. They question is whether that was artistic license or an in-universe means of keeping whatever-she-is from having offspring.

I've really got to catch up in Delta... though, have zero motivation.  I think I stopped around the 7th episode...

Anyhow, the reason: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixelization#International_legal_standards
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:47:34 AM by Sketchley »

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2016, 01:38:09 AM »
I'd like to make it a bit more navigable, but, well, it all boils down to (free) time* and the goal of the site.

Like I said, I was complaining. I was just saying why I had not found much in my searches.

here was a bit more on them that I remember translating - it might have been in an "extra report" on one of the episode sheets.  Something about them being able to read the ancient language of the Zolans, and telepathically communicating that information to the person they're bound to.

Yeah.  I knew that.  They showed it onscreen when Cappy was reading Protoculture script and translating it for Elma, who passed the information on to Basara. That may not be a symbiotic thing unless they can only talk to one person.

Though, you'll have to use the correct terminology I've used, and not the common (and oft inaccurate) jargon that English speaking fans use).

I can understand most of them. You have some odd translations, though. For example, Aruto even through it was shown as Alto onscreen. Kuran Kuran is another one as her onscreen name (Klan Klang) is a joke as it means 'one of the short people' in old Germanic tongue. On the other hand, I always thought that Sivil should have been Cybil, too. *shrug*

I've really got to catch up in Delta... though, have zero motivation.  I think I stopped around the 7th episode...

You didn't miss much.  There has really only been a couple of good episodes. There is one or two action episodes and one that that is something of a Franchise Recap, although it goes so far as to explain why everything is through all of Macross and not just what happened.  Plus the single shot in it of getting to see a member of the Protoculture.

All-in-all, Delta is primed to take the Most Boring Entry award from Plus.

Anyhow, the reason: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixelization#International_legal_standards

Possibly, yes.  There is another possibility, but I shan't go in to it for the sake of No-Spoilers.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »
Now that the spam wave is getting a bit more manageable...

Like I said, I was complaining. I was just saying why I had not found much in my searches.

Wait... you're complaining now?  :P

I can understand most of them. You have some odd translations, though. For example, Aruto even through it was shown as Alto onscreen. Kuran Kuran is another one as her onscreen name (Klan Klang) is a joke as it means 'one of the short people' in old Germanic tongue. On the other hand, I always thought that Sivil should have been Cybil, too. *shrug*

I'll skip the question of if you're watching the official release with subs or a fansub, and go straight to... refer to my signature.  Specifically the part about romanization.  And I'll raise that with: "I'm translating Japanese to English, not Zentraadi or (insert fictitious language) into English."

Lastly, the Tokyo/Kanto dialect is only one way to speak Japanese.  The Osaka/Kansai dialect doesn't reduce the /u/ vowel like the Kanto residents do*, thus something like the reduction of "Aruto" to "Arto", let alone the Hepburn defying "Alto" just sounds and looks wrong on so many levels.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect#Vowels]

And isn't the German joke Klan Klein?

You didn't miss much.  There has really only been a couple of good episodes. There is one or two action episodes and one that that is something of a Franchise Recap, although it goes so far as to explain why everything is through all of Macross and not just what happened.  Plus the single shot in it of getting to see a member of the Protoculture.

All-in-all, Delta is primed to take the Most Boring Entry award from Plus.

Hmmm... dare I say the writing was on the wall in the earlier episodes?  The main reason I don't have motivation is the characters.  They're just so immature.

The enemies are much more appealing.  However, without heroes to cheer for...

Possibly, yes.  There is another possibility, but I shan't go in to it for the sake of No-Spoilers.

Thanks.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »

Wait... you're complaining now?  :P

Maybe!  You gotta problem with that??

I'll skip the question of if you're watching the official release with subs or a fansub,

I watch with both, actually. I see them with fansubs when they are new and watch with the official subs when those are released. Some, like M7, don't have official subs as far as I know.

and go straight to... refer to my signature.  Specifically the part about romanization.  And I'll raise that with: "I'm translating Japanese to English, not Zentraadi or (insert fictitious language) into English."

But they have actual languages for Zentraedi and Zolan. Then you have Sharon Apple that sings in some unspecified language that has official real-world translations for for the made-up words.

"Alto" just sounds and looks wrong on so many levels.

It was written that way on-screen. We know that is what it is.  Besides, it makes sense. 'Alto' is type of vocal pitch being both 'high male' and 'low female' and his thing was being a guy that pretended he was a girl.

Hmmm... dare I say the writing was on the wall in the earlier episodes?  The main reason I don't have motivation is the characters.  They're just so immature.

Then you are going to love the stretches of four episodes that are all-character and the mecha only appears sitting in the background.  (>_>)

The enemies are much more appealing.  However, without heroes to cheer for...

I mostly prefer the villains, except for Freyja. But then, she was from there too, so...

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »
But they have actual languages for Zentraedi and Zolan. Then you have Sharon Apple that sings in some unspecified language that has official real-world translations for for the made-up words.

So what?  Did I say I was translating Zentraadi into English?

It was written that way on-screen. We know that is what it is.  Besides, it makes sense. 'Alto' is type of vocal pitch being both 'high male' and 'low female' and his thing was being a guy that pretended he was a girl.

BTW, there is a kanji for his name (since Unicode isn't working on these boards): http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E6%9C%89%E4%BA%BA
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/en/%E6%9C%89%E4%BA%BA/m0u/

And it comes with its own pun, especially when coupled with his last name: http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E6%97%A9%E4%B9%99%E5%A5%B3
(the links don't provide the best version of the pun, but they still have some mileage).

So going back to the 'official' release's name: which came first, my translations, or the official release?  Is anyone going to pay me to go back and edit it in?

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2016, 11:23:12 PM »
So what?  Did I say I was translating Zentraadi into English?

Don't look at me.  You brought it up. 

(the links don't provide the best version of the pun, but they still have some mileage).

A girl pilot?

So going back to the 'official' release's name: which came first, my translations, or the official release?

I dinna say subs.  I said on-screen. Not that I care. I was just saying it was an odd choice.

Is anyone going to pay me to go back and edit it in?

I have it on good authority that Zed is going to.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2016, 06:22:23 AM »
Don't look at me.  You brought it up. 

You were saying? :roll:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:24:45 AM by Sketchley »

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
That quote doesn't mention the Zentraedi language at all.  (>_>)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2016, 12:56:09 AM »
Then you've completely missed the point of my last few messages responding to that.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2016, 01:30:55 AM »
I don't know no nothin'. And you can't prove otherwise.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2016, 11:39:43 AM »
Great Mechanics 11: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/OTgreatMechanics/OTgreatmechanics.php
My initial translation was sorely in need of a cleanup.  On top of that, I opted to do the magazine's synopsis of the anime.  I'm glad I did, as there are a few things mentioned in it that I haven't come across before.
Of course, the magazine's misidentifying the Octos as two separate Destroids is amusing, but on the other hand its analysis of the moves used by the Valkyries is insightful.  I think I just may go back and polish off the similar sections in GM 10 because of those kinds of things.

PS: Yay!  Almost no pesky accents to deal with!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:05:54 PM by Sketchley »

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
Typo:  Pg 76, First Paragraph, Last Sentence.  'Destroid' was misspelled as 'Destroyed'.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2016, 10:57:57 PM »
Fixed.

Thanks.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2016, 06:14:29 AM »
Great Mechanics 10: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/OTgreatMechanics/OTgreatmechanics.php#GM
(Pgs 98-99 in particular)

Finished.  A few parts add a bit more insight into the tactical situation of M0 Ch.3, but, overall, it doesn't really add very much to our body of knowledge (in English).  T.T;;;

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »
Dusted off the translation toolbox this past week:

Zentradi 02A: Zentradi Military Vessels
Zentradi 02B: Zentradi Military Vessels
http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRmechanic/MCRmechanic.php#DYRL

One is completely new, the other is finishing off what was started while I was doing the "Extra Report" project.

Edit: the board software really doesn't like anything but basic ASCII text.  >.<
Well, check out the links for the properly accented spellings...