Author Topic: VIFA-3 BW2 Mission 0: alternate reality covert intelligence op  (Read 10428 times)

Offline Sketchley

  • Administrator
  • General
  • *
  • Posts: 5110
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!


2059.01.15; early evening
Megaroad 25 in orbit over Messiah 025


Jane Yamato, Major Yamato, of MSG, had arranged a dinner-date to welcome the new pilots under her command at the fancy restaurant in the forward-most building in the interior of the ship.  Unlike most of the buildings in the city, which are connected to bottom of the ship, in addition to the numerous levels that compose the city, this building hung in space.  True, it was supported just as much as any other building in the ship, because those supports are in the middle and upper portion of the building, it has the illusion of hanging in space.  The fancy restaurant, at the bottom of the building with glass windows sprinkled about underfoot, also added to the vertigo inducing setting.  But the view... no other place in the ship has such an impressive view; with the city just peaking into view at the edges, some superstructure, and beyond the protective windows, the ships of the escort fleet, the Earth-like Messiah 025, and a purple and reddish tinged nebulae tinging this part of space.

The new members of the MSG all know each other, having served for some time together in the Nuclides and having decided to transfer, en masse, to the MSG.  Major Yamato, on the other hand, is an enigma.  Sure, they had met her when they had signed up for MSG, and she had given them a brief tour of the small offices of the military service provider deep in the denser and more slum-like section of the ship (if such a place existed in the more socialism-minded Megaroad 25), but that had only been brief, and formal.  Tonight would be the first time to meet her informally in a semi-formal environment.

The restaurant didn't quite have a dress-code in effect, but what place could, given the high degree of mutantions in the general population.  Major Yamato was nothing out of the ordinary, but still much more than ordinary.  Probably the first thing anyone notices about her is her height: 78.74 cm; next are the spines that cover the majority of the rears of her arms, legs, back and head.  Probably her most surprising feature is the long-sticky tongue that she occasionally, and usually absent mindedly unleashes on an unsuspecting morsel of food on a plate in front of her.

She smiles as widely as her tiny mouth allows her when the new members of the MSG arrive.  She stands, and greets each one with a handshake, having to stand almost on the tips of her toes to do so.  Climbing back into her chair, with a child's booster seat on it, she bangs her water glass to get everyone's attention.  Holding it up in a toast, she speaks, "I know it ain't wine, but welcome to the MSG, and may we only reach Nirvana while doing our jobs, not because of our jobs."

She takes a drink, gives the water an evil eye, and waves over a waiter.  "A bottle of your best white wine, and glasses for all.  And be quick about it!"

Major Yamato turns back to the pilots.  "Now, where were we... I've been with civilian military providers for the past year or so.  Some have been OK, some have left a bad taste in the mouth.  I believe that the MSG will be great, not because it has the best equipment, but because I believe in the company's owner, Mr. Bushi.  And I believe in his promises, which is why I think you're all here, too.  Anyhow, before that... long before that, I was a Navy pilot.  I couldn't quite stand working over water, so I transferred to Spacy at the first available time; I think it was my Special Forces training that let me transfer so easily!"  Major Yamato chuckles.  "I've been a squad leader for... ages.  I can't remember when I wasn't a leader!"  She bursts out in a jovial laugh.

Calming, she looks at the pilots, "now, what's your story?  I've read your file, so don't give me any of that mumbo-jumbo crap.  What's the real biscuit?"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:15:03 AM by Sketchley »

Offline Zed

  • Administrator
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
Isa arrived at the restaurant on her motorcycle dressed in her usual riding gear of black and dark purple leather.  Locking up her bike in the parking lot, she grabbed her changing bag and walked through the entrance to the restaurant, much to the dismay of the hostess at first, carrying her helmet and dressed in leather.  It was but a moment later that she had returned out of the ladies lavatory wearing a lilac, black, and silver floral geometric print dress that hugged her muscular curves and showed off her bare back and most of her chest.  The plunging v-neck was a little scandalous for a business meeting, but Isa wasn't one to shy from risk.  She arrived at the table with the others and quietly acknowledged the toast that was offered.  The diminutive Major's size didn't ease her though, and she was a tad tense while she took in her features.  Natural instincts satisfied, she glanced at her fellow pilots seeing if any would respond to Major Yamato first.

Plunging in with the risks calculated, Isa spoke up in a lilting and seductive voice, "I'm here for a good time Major, and nothing less will do."  She smiled a predatory smile and flashed her sharp teeth before looking around at the other pilots in the group.  She watched them carefully, wondering what they would make of her purposefully immature bravado and priorities.

Edit OOC: http://www.bluefly.com/Nicole-Miller-lilac-lurex-silk-georgette-halter-maxi-dress/cat20110/303791201/detail.fly  For those interested, this is the dress that Isa is wearing.

Offline jwlyon1

  • GM
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2371
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
Belinda "Mindy" Laframboise
Hungry and enjoying the view


Mindy was right behind Isa, pulling up to the restaurant on her bike. Mindy pops off her skull cap helmet, running a clawed hand through her short fur, giving it the proper post-helmet mussing. She strolls straight in, looking for the Major. Where the hell is Isa going? she thinks as the other pilot dashes off. Mindy's wearing a pretty standard looking quasi-military set of a BDUs, gear stuffed in her pockets. There's some grease here and there from helping Wolfie with his latest project.

Giving pause at the view, she whistles outloud. "Damn, if that isn't a pretty thing. Not as good as from the front of a one-seven-one, but damn good to look at over a juicy hippocow steak!" She's speaks to no one in particular as she heads to the table, spotting the Major. She take a seat at the table and grabs a menu. Looking at the prices, she thinks, Good thing MSG is picking up the bill!

Mindy raises her glass of water in toast with her new boss. That's a good toast! I like it! she thinks trying to size up the diminutive Major, Wonder if she's an ass kicker out of the cockpit? Mindy looks around the table at the other pilots, and decides she might as well give the story, as simple as she puts it.

"now, what's your story?  I've read your file, so don't give me any of that mumbo-jumbo crap.  What's the real biscuit?"

"Well, nothing really special here. I've bounced around between the Army, Navy, and finally Spacy. Always flying something, choppers, jets, VFs. Even did some time as shuttle crew. But all I really want to do is fly and maybe party here and there, with a brawl or two thrown in for good measure. Hell! A brawl is required!"

{Edit: Darn simul-posting!}}

"I'm here for a good time Major, and nothing less will do."

Hearing Isa's comment, Mindy practically shoots her water out her nose she laughs so hard. Her own answer was a little flippant, but this! Wow!

'Wow, Isa, and I thought I was the shallow one here!"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:48:04 PM by jwlyon1 »
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline Zed

  • Administrator
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
"My dear Mindy, the complexity of what pleases me offer a depth beyond imagination to most.  Don't mistake a simple answer for a simple mind, or a simple reasoning."  Isa winks at Mindy looks over the menu, her smile gone but her expression not unpleasant either.  She contemplates the various meats, wondering if she should get a double order of one item, or two separate entrees.

Offline jwlyon1

  • GM
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2371
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »
Mindy laughs again at Isa, replying in what she hopes is a playful tone, "Woah, shallow and simple, two totally different things. But I'm interested in one of those hippocow t-bones, what catches your eye?"
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline Zed

  • Administrator
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »
Without looking up from the menu Isa thoughtfully said, "I think I'd enjoy an order of vulpes with a lupus garnish and perhaps some strawberries for dessert, maybe a little bit of sugar with them.  Hmm, that or maybe a double order of rare prime rib.  Not sure.  What do you two think?"  Isa looked up at her squadmates appraisingly.

Offline jwlyon1

  • GM
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2371
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
"I think I'd enjoy an order of vulpes with a lupus garnish and perhaps some strawberries for dessert, maybe a little bit of sugar with them.  Hmm, that or maybe a double order of rare prime rib.  Not sure.  What do you two think?"

"Que le yable me pete un singe*...?" Mindy flips the menu over looking for the fancy words Isa's spouting off about. "Honestly, I'm not really sure what MENU you're looking at but I don't see either of those!"

This is turning out to be quite the interesting evening! Who'd have suspected the conservative human-ish chick would be this, well, predatory! She seemed so harmless. Well, Mindy's going to definitely have to watch out for this hunter.

*Edit: "Well, I'll be damned!" ~ Thanks Halley!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:57:29 AM by jwlyon1 »
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline Sketchley

  • Administrator
  • General
  • *
  • Posts: 5110
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
"I'm here for a good time Major, and nothing less will do."
(...)
"Honestly, I'm not really sure what MENU you're looking at but I don't see either of those!"


Yamato cracks a smile as she sat back and watched the two banter..  "... looks like we're not going to disappoint!" she says at Harper.

Yamato downs the rest of her glass, and pours a second one for herself, winking at Harper as she does.  She then cranes her neck to glance through the people at the other tables toward the entrance.  She half mutters to herself, "damn... I hope they can learn to tell time when we get out in the field!"

Looking back at Harper and Laframboise, she smiles kindly, but they can see the cracks in it and note that she's miffed that the others haven't arrived.  "Now, where were we?  Ah yes," Yamato glances at the menu, then at Harper.  "No prime ribs on this menu*, but can I recommend the Hippocow brisket in sudachi sauce with green leaf lettuce?"

Just then, Yamato's mobile starts playing "Sagittarius ? 9PM Don't be Late".  "Oh drat," Yamato curses lightly as customers from nearby tables give her dirty looks for disturbing their dinner, "forgot to set it to vib only!"

She answers, "Hi? ... Oh!  Hi!  How you doing?  Good, good.  All ready for it?  Ok... yup.  Yes, I won't forget.... hold on, I'll plug it in now."

She sets the phone on the table as she fishes a small speaker out of a waist pocket.  "It's Mr. Bushi, and he wants to talk with you guys."  Yamato plugs in the small speaker and sets it on the table.

Mr. Bushi's voice loudly blasts out of it, "can you hear me?"

The nearby customers glare in Yamato's direction.  "Sorry, sorry!" Yamato says, bobbing her head in a small bow as she lowers the volume on the speaker... a lot.  "Hearing you loud and clear, sir."

"Good," comes Mr. Bushi's voice, faintly covered by static.  "If you'll look out the port window..."  Just coming into view, about 500 m away from the Megaroad's window, is a Neo-Oberth Space Destroyer, escorted by 8 QF-3000E Ghosts.  "... you'll see the new flagship of the MSG fleet, the Bushi 1!"  There is a lot of joy in his voice as he makes the proclamation.  Everyone also realizes that though the ship may be called a flagship, there's definitely no MSG fleet.

The ship dips it's engine nacelles up and down in a brief wave, as the ship slowly cruises by, with the 8 Ghosts in a V formation flying overhead.

"This will be our home for the next week, during the mission."

Yamato coughs to interrupt.  "I hadn't told them about it yet, sir..."

"Oh..." Mr. Bushi replies, sounding disappointed.  "Oh!" his tone has changed to one of glee.  "Ladies and gentlemen of the MSG, we have our first job!"

He pauses for a while, waiting for clapping or some other comment.  Yamato doesn't say or do anything.

Bushi, sounding a bit disappointed, continues, "I'll let Yamato give you the details.  Yamato?"

"Yes, Mr. Bushi?" Yamato replies, sounding like a secretary who's been at her job too long.

"Don't forget to tell them about the selection of..."

"I won't," she cuts him off, adding "sir" as a delayed afterthought.

"Good, good.  Carry on as you were.  I'm off to put this ship through it's paces.  Helm, full ahead," the transmission cuts off.

Yamato lets out a long sigh as she closes her mobile and detaches the speaker from it.  "I tried my best, but he's got a hard on for being with us on the mission.  Can't blame him, really.  He's invested a lot of time and money to get the company to where it is now...," Yamato downs her second glass of wine, having forgotten that she's supposed to brief them on their first job.


* Can't fit it into the dialogue without being didactic: beef is a super expensive rarity in most any Super Long Range Emigrant Fleet, especially the 125th Research Fleet.   In short, the farms in the fleet only raise Hippocows and Holstain Saurobirds from Eden.  Yamato's comment could be taken as, "that's way out of the price range for tonight's dinner."

Offline Halley

  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 1069
    • View Profile
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »
OOC: Sorry for being late for the post!




Wolfie arrived in his old patched car, wearing the bests cloaths he had that wasen't a uniform: the result wasen't the last mode, but it was clean and comfortable enough for him, and he hoped that it was to the rest of the guests.

"now, what's your story?  I've read your file, so don't give me any of that mumbo-jumbo crap.  What's the real biscuit?"

"Well, for my part, i have to say that, a bit like Isa, i was a bit bored by the Spacy, They where less challenge in the task, but for my part, it was because i was tired to do always the same things: I'ved gone to mechanics on NUNS standart VF, Recon on NUNS standart VF and combat fighter on NUNS standart VF... So when Mindy come to me saying that the MSG was interested by us, it came at the right moment. This compagny is a lot less monotonus thant the NUNS."

Looking at the menu, he also see many wonderfull dishes who display in 3D when he touch them, making them look more apetizing.

"And i hate the Military food." He said mouth-watering, his tail twirling in exitement i front of a savoury looking giant Hamburger.

William's food dreams where interupted by Yamato's mobile. He was quite surprised that Mr bushi wanted to talk to them, but a big smile light-up his face when he saw the new neo-oberth space destroyer of the MSG. that was promissing good time! And then, this new job, so soon! interesting!

"I tried my best, but he's got a hard on for being with us on the mission.  Can't blame him, really.  He's invested a lot of time and money to get the company to where it is now...,"

"When we work on something, it's even more pleasurable to take-it on it's maiden flight, i understand it quite well. So, Mr. Bushi was mentioned our first job?"
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

- A Test Pilot on New Edwards Base

Offline Zed

  • Administrator
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »
Isa nodded at Yamato's description of their new boss.  She'd met plenty of men and women like the owner of MSG and was not surprised at the stubborn disregard for common sense they tend to have.  That didn't mean she approved of course, but it did mean she knew enough not to let them bother her.  "Major Yamato, if I may interrupt, you were going to tell us about our first assignment?"  The waiter took that very moment to interrupt and ask for Isa's order, and as instructed she did not break the bank with her choices.  Without speaking she gestured to a lean cut steak salad with fruit and nuts for extra protein.  Despite her appearance as a carniverous predator, she DID have a figure to maintain.

Taking a light drink of water, Isa kept her eyes on Major Yamato and attentively searched for any point where questions might need to be asked or details were left out.

Offline Sketchley

  • Administrator
  • General
  • *
  • Posts: 5110
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:10:11 PM »
"Major Yamato, if I may interrupt, you were going to tell us about our first assignment?"

Yamato looks at her, and blinks rapidly, as she is kicked out of one train of thought and has to recollect exactly what she has to say.

"Ah, yes.  Our first job," she stresses the word, implying it is the term to be used in the MSG.  "It's guard duty.  On another planet in this Planetary Cluster*.  About two weeks ago, someone discovered a bunch of Zentraadi wrecks on the planet.  NUNS checked the site and came up clean, giving the green light to begin a salvage operation.  Another company bought the salvage rights, and wants to begin work in about half-a-week's time."

She leans in closer, and whispers, "they're saying that they need the time to organize workers, equipment, and transport... but I think the real reason is that Mr. Bushi pulled some strings and got them to not only hire the MSG, but also wait a few days, while we get organized."

She leans back, discreetly checking to her left and right.  "We won't be the only military service on the job.  The salvage company has also hired the best group in our fleet... the Ostasienzentrum."  Everyone knows the name, and some of their exploits.  If anything, they're known for their efficiency, and also their deadliness when they had to fight their way out of a situation.  "In some ways, it's good for us, as Mr. Bushi has negotiated a 12 hour on, 12 hour off shift, allowing us to operate together, when we're on duty.

The bad news for those of us dependant on running water, flush toilets, and heated showers, is that we'll be camping during the majority of the job.  I think the Bushi 1 will be in orbit, allowing one of us, per day, to take a trip up the well to showers, running water, and to bring back supplies.

Anyhow, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.  The threat level of rogue Zentraadi in the planetary cluster is low, but there's a chance that whoever abandoned the ships might come back... or someone else might know about the site, and may pop out of fold to salvage stuff at any time.

So... as it's our job to patrol, guard and defend the salvage operation... if it comes to that... the majority of the job will be on the surface or flying in the atmosphere.  So... FAST packs and Super Parts may not be possible during most of the job.

Anyhow, anyhow... the boss has some good connections with used VF suppliers.  Though, as the company is still being set up, we don't exactly have a lot of funds available for proccuring vehicles... what I'm getting at is, we've been given a selection of... erm... ahem... old Variable Craft.  Don't get me wrong, Mr. Bushi vouches for their reliability!  And their proven combat records speak volumes about their capabilities!"

Yamato sits back, and takes a couple of deep breaths as she activates her mobile phone.  "Where's that list that he mailed me?  Ah... here it is."  She looks at the others, "you've got a choice of any of the VF-1 variants... though I don't think there are any S models available... anyhow, any variant is ok.  Any VF-3000 or any VA-3 variant.  It's probably not what you were expecting, but they're actually quite good craft."

Yamato let's the pilots contemplate the choice as she downs another two glasses of wine.  She then asks, "so, what'll it be?  The sooner we know, the sooner we can get them, and start familiarizing ourselves with them..."



* She means the M55NGC6909 Planetary Cluster, the same "system" as Messiah 025.

Offline jwlyon1

  • GM
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2371
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »
"so, what'll it be?  The sooner we know, the sooner we can get them, and start familiarizing ourselves with them..."
Mindy looks up from scrubbing the table where a drop of her drink had fallen, quickly tucking the sanitizing towellette back into her pocket, but not before she wipes her hands clean with it. For the fifth time. Hmm, choices choices! she thinks, not entirely happy about it.

"Let's see here... any VA-3 variant? Huh. I guess I'll take one of those, no VF-19s I take it? Shame really.. but is it a water planet? Then of course I'd take a 3M, but if it's not I think I'll stick with the 3B... what sort of ordinance are we cleared for? The suspected bandits, if they show, would be Zentran?"
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline Sketchley

  • Administrator
  • General
  • *
  • Posts: 5110
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
Yamato shrugs.  "No idea.  I think it's just the salvage company wanting to have all the angles covered.  Anyhow, the NUNS said the site hadn't been visited in centuries... but you know how thurough they are..." her voice trails off as she contemplates something.  "I think there are a few lakes and bodies of water on the planet, but from what I've seen, the job site is in the middle of a giant, dry scrubland."

Offline jwlyon1

  • GM
  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 2371
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
    • Rogue-Z (yes, it's a stupid blog)
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 11:21:43 PM »
Mindy shrugs and takes another sip of her water. "Okay VA-3B then."
I check this from work.
D
M
ACPM
M:GP

Offline Halley

  • Lt. General
  • *
  • Posts: 1069
    • View Profile
Re: Job 1: Guard Duty
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:21:59 PM »
Wolfie look at the list with a short whiper: these things was old. very old. but they were touph and reliable. That will be a pleasure to work on the mechanic of this old technology... Immediately, he look at what he think he may be able to fly, selectioning two craft: the VE-1, a plane with extremely reduced armement but greater detection capability, and the VF-3000, a plane with a good amount of internal missile luncher; not as good as a VF-171, but enouph already. He needed details.

"I have a question: Is the Bushi-1 is equiped to detect everything that may come in the sector or or we need an Elint to be sure if nothing come in our back?"
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

- A Test Pilot on New Edwards Base