Author Topic: 2055.08.19 Thursday/2055.08.20 Friday  (Read 17386 times)

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
2055.08.19 Thursday/2055.08.20 Friday
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:28:34 PM »
2055.08.19 Thursday 15:00 GST/ 2055.08.19 12.00 Local Time
Scorpii 18 System
Planet Buthridas
Leyte Island
Dragoon’s Nest: Combat Flight Academy
Ready Room 12

Late morning found the graduate fighter pilots sitting in ready room twelve awaiting briefing and debarkation.  Eleven pilots found themselves next to each other, idly chatting about where their twelfth member was.  Not all of the pilots had been near the altercation after graduation, and the rumors they’d heard had been blown out of proportion.  Before anyone can interrogate Ensign Chardonna, Ensign Grimm, or Ensign Nayl, Captain Oliver Jenkins called the ready room to order.

“Pilots,” Nayle said, “our first order of business is to acknowledge two among your member who have proven their dedication and have started down the path towards command.  Ensign Nayl, Ensign Thule, please step forward.”  Captain Jenkins moved away from the podium to stand directly in front of the two pilots.  “In recognition of your accomplishments and service to The Three Spheres, I hereby raise you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade.”  Captain Nayle handed each of them their new rank badges and shook their hands.  Stepping back, he saluted them and said, “Back to your seats.”

Captain Nayle walked back to his podium and gestured to one of his aides in the room, who began handing out packets to each of the pilots.  “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to VT-17 Remora Squadron.”  The screen next to the podium suddenly lit up revealing a small but aggressive looking fish in front of a New Nile class carrier, along with the squadron lettering above and below the image.  “In the packets being handed to you, you will find your unit patches as well your flight plan for this evening.  If you turn to page 12 you will note that you are scheduled to rendezvous with VTAQ-9, VTAQ-11, and VT-13 at 00:45 hours local time.  From there you will turn to…”

The briefing continued for half an hour, each pilot being instructed as to their turn times and the locations of each way point.  Finally Captain Jenkins reached their flight assignments.  “Lt. Nayl, your designation is Foxtrot Zeero Wun.  You will be leading a six man flight with Zeero Too through Zeero Siks being Grimm, Chardonna, Roth…respectively.  Lt. Thule, your designation is Lima Zeero Wun with….  You’ll find the other flights for tonight listed on page six.  Any questions?  No?  Alright, get yourselves checked out by the flight doc, get your gear, and report at the hanger by 2400.  Dismissed.”

Scorpii 18 System
Planet Buthridas
Leyte Island
Ready Room 17

Two buildings away in Ready Room 17 the remaining pilots and their EWO’s from the freshman class of Chaerilidae were going through a similar briefing as their counterparts in the single seaters.  Captain Metwealia Sitae started her briefing with crisp efficiency.

“Pilots, welcome to VTAQ-11 Seneca Dragons.  The packets on your desk contain your unit patches and todays briefing.  Ensign Frost, Ensign Callaeros, I need you up front now!”  She barked the order and was pleased to see the two pilots snapping to action.  “You two are hereby promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade.”  She saluted them without smiling, handed them their new rank badges, and gestured to their seats.

Without waiting she broke into the flight assignments.  “Lt Callaeros, you will be leading Golf flight.  Dalkarn, Goselin….Lt Frost, you are leading Echo flight with….”  Captain Sitae ploughed through the briefing a good ten minutes faster than her counterpart Captain Jenkins, and before they knew it they were lining up to meet with the Flight Doctor to clear them for that night’s flight.

Offline Piros

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: 2055.08.19 Thursday/2055.08.20 Friday
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
Lieutenant Junior Grade Gideon Nayl
Shocked and delighted.

There was no way that had just happened.  One moment I'm sitting here, daydreaming of going off into space and the next I'm being promoted as one of two squad leaders.  I know I did decently from what I saw on the PerfEvals, but I had no idea I did that well.  This place gets more and more interesting as I go along.  Now I get to call the shots, I knew I should have paid attention in military theory and movement classes.  Crap!  Crap!  Crap!  I really hope I don't screw up.

These thoughts and others raced through Gideon's mind as the senior officer droned on and on about their responsibilities and their duties.  He only broke his mental reverie once when the officer mentioned flights.  Gideon had been waiting for this moment, he wanted to get behind the controls of a Valk since he had seen the vids as a kid.  The massive transforming aerial craft were amazingly graceful, and surprisingly deadly.  Not to mention the prestige that came with the status of Valkyrie pilot was immense and might actually go some distance to shutting his family up.  

Gideon carefully watched the other pilots' reactions to his promotion as the briefing went on.  He would have to judge his people carefully, especially those that felt slighted about losing out on a chance to command.  As the old saying went, "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."  Gideon had no intention of letting his enemies get out of arms reach, because it was very hard to put a dagger into someone's back after they had broken your arm.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:33:19 PM by Piros »
"A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time"
-- Imperial Inquisitor

Offline MustangGT02

• Lt. Colonel
  • Dont hate the player...hate the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 11:34:55 PM »
Ensign Hayden "Apollo" Grimm
Quiet and Calculating...
Foxtrot-02

Scorpii 18 System
Planet Buthridas
Leyte Island
Ready Room 12

As Hayden sat and listened to the briefing, he was wondering what had finally happened to Arsene as he had not joined them.  Guess he was removed from the program...  When the Captain called Nayl up and presented him with a promotion, he was surprised but happy at the same time.  At least he was someone he could follow and respect.  Two things that Hayden held in high regard.

“Lt. Nayl, your designation is Foxtrot Zeero Wun.  You will be leading a six man flight with Zeero Too through Zeero Siks being Grimm, Chardonna, Roth…respectively.  Lt. Thule, your designation is Lima Zeero Wun with….  You’ll find the other flights for tonight listed on page six.  Any questions?  No?  Alright, get yourselves checked out by the flight doc, get your gear, and report at the hanger by 2400.  Dismissed.”

Hayden stood and moved over to Gideon and gave him a mock salute in good fun.

"Congratulations Sir."  Hayden motioned to the hatch.  "Shall we give the doc something to do?  I personally cant wait to get in my fighter and launch.  How about you?"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:41:49 PM by MustangGT02 »

"Have you...I do.  Outnumbered...they are." ~ Yoda from the Clone Wars

Offline Lance

• Colonel
  • Official Ninja Lurker
    • View Profile
    • KeeperOf42
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »
Lieutenant Junior Grade Lance "Gemini" Calleros
Promoted on the first day?

Lance yawned out very very quietly knowing better then to interrupt the serious-minded Captain.  He had stayed out a teensy too late last night, but he knew it would be quite awhile before he'd see Melody again or get a real chance to relax he figured.  He gave a thumbs up at the twins and his EWO and lightly kicked a foot.  As the shortest pilot in the room imagine his surprise when he was called up without warning to the front.  A few pilots he heard snickering at how short he was another voice gushing over how adorable he looked with his well-groomed appearance and neat uniform.

He saluted the Captain at the proper time and didn't show any surprise at being promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade.  Well at least surprise to his classmates he just blinked a couple times.

Despite what happened yesterday they're still promoting me?!  I mean I know they said it wouldn't go on the record...but still...

Lance thought to himself as he accepted the packet putting on his new rank insignias and the squad patch taking a few moments to make sure it was neat.  Imagine his further surprise when he heard the Dalkarn twins would be assigned to his squadron...Lance blinked a few times then wondered who the other pairings were that were in his flight.

This is just a creepy dream right?  Totallyyyy creepy....I mean come on I wanted to wind up in the same flight as Alma and Nilke but COME ON...freakin' mind-readers is what they got in the military. I mean what are the odds right?  Right?

Naturally Lance didn't show this little panicky train of thought on an outward aspect he paid attention to the briefing.  Still...he knew it was going to be a LONGGGG year at the Chaer just judging from initial reactions to him being bumped to the next rank.  When they got that dismissal and left the briefing room Lance let out a soft anime sigh cloud as he looked at his EWO.  The pairing of Lance and Zelhia had always been a confusing thing to everyone at the academy how could two people so different get along so easily?

"Its gonna be a long year I think," Lance said with a sigh now as he waited with Zelhia for the Dalkarns before continuing on with them Lance's arms folded behind his head as he gave thought to the whole promotion thing.  It might not be SO bad being in charge.  But it also meant more responsibility as he thought back to his ROTC years and the leadership training he had received then.  Before he knew it they were lined up outside of the Flight Doctor's room getting their 'cleared for flight' pass so to speak.

SON OF A BITCH THAT OLD MAN WILL BE GLOATING!

Lance blinked and face-palmed audibly giving a groan now as he just realized something.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:25:29 PM by Lance »
Characters
LTJG Lance 'Janus' Callaeros
ENS Keiko 'Pixie' Skylark

Offline arvanna

• Brigadier General
  • Meltrans only reason I need to support cloning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »
Ensign. Baressa "Haridan" Chardona
Foxtrot Three

The absence of one of their number wasn't lost upon Baressa, course it hadn't been entirely unexpected after the incident at the grad ceremony. Her mother had reminded her over dinner that she had to be prepared for when, not if she lost a squadron mate and at least she knew this one wouldn't have been from death. Now when two of their number were called up by the Captain and promoted she couldn't help but grin and throw Gideon a thumbs up from her seat.

Then it was back to business opening up the packet and studying it's contents while listening to Jenkins as he continued his briefing. Hmmmmm...she'd have the third spot which would put Roth on her wing in their flight element. Soon as he finished and dismissed them she was up and walking over to Hayden and Gideon slapping their new unit patch onto her shoulder.

"Congratz there LLLLLL...TTTTTTT." she said to Gideon with a wide smile followed by a light shot into the shoulder "Just don't let the rank go to your head just yet." lowers her voice to a stage whisper and leans over closer to Grim "You had better keep a close eye on him Apollo the new Lt gets banged up they always put it on his wingman.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:52:34 AM by arvanna »
when at first you don't succeed your obviously not leading the target enough !!

Offline Piros

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
Lieutenant Junior Grade Gideon Nayl
Foxtrot-01
A bit nervous.

Gideon stood up nervously as the meeting dismissed into the general chaos of congratulations and excitement towards finally getting started.  He saw hayden walk up next to him and throw a sloppy salute, it took Gideon a second to realize it was a joke.

"Congratulations Sir."  Hayden motioned to the hatch.  "Shall we give the doc something to do?  I personally cant wait to get in my fighter and launch.  How about you?"

Gideon just chuckled and felt immediately relieved that at least one pilot wasn't worried about him being in charge.  "Thanks Grimm, calmed me down a bit.  I gotta' admit I'm nervous as can be."

Gideon quickly attached his new rank and squad insignia, fastidiously making sure that everything was straight and looked good.

"Lets go get checked out, I'm sure the doc will be swamped right now, but I want to get up in the air as much as you do.  I've been waiting for this since I entered the service, Valkyrie or bust."

"Congratz there LLLLLL...TTTTTTT." she said to Gideon with a wide smile followed by a light shot into the shoulder "Just don't let the rank go to your head just yet." lowers her voice to a stage whisper and leans over closer to Grim "You had better keep a close eye on him Apollo the new Lt gets banged up they always put it on his wingman."

Gideon grinned and gave Baressa a return thumbs up, "Thanks Ensign, I don't think I'll ever get used to that, Baressa.  I don't think I have to worry about my head in the clouds as much with the two of you here to drag me back down.  That and I think I'll be fine as long as you two watch my rear end and I do the same."

Gideon checked the room and realized that most of the young pilots had left and that the three left behind might end up last in a long line of newbies to get checked out. 

"Let's get out of here and get poked by the doc for a bit.  As soon as I get the clean bill of health I'm getting a good look at our fighters!"
"A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time"
-- Imperial Inquisitor

Offline MustangGT02

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:00:52 AM »
Quiet and Calculating...
Foxtrot-02

Hayden smiled and listened to Gideon and then noticed Baressa leaning close and speaking under her breath.

"You had better keep a close eye on him Apollo the new Lt gets banged up they always put it on his wingman."

He gave her a wink and smiled as Gideon continued.

"Thanks Ensign, I don't think I'll ever get used to that, Baressa.  I don't think I have to worry about my head in the clouds as much with the two of you here to drag me back down.  That and I think I'll be fine as long as you two watch my rear end and I do the same."

"Let's get out of here and get poked by the doc for a bit.  As soon as I get the clean bill of health I'm getting a good look at our fighters!"

Hayden followed them out of the briefing room and his smile had not faded.

"No worries sir...we have your back...right Baressa?"

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »
Scorpii 18 System
Debris field
Local Space

"So, quite the change from your usual space rioting, no? You must be bored to tears in there." From the looks of the com icon the freighter pilot was pretty boored himself. Probably more so then her. This, however slow and uneventful, was a change from what she usually did and if anything she was feeling full of anticipation. Offering the freighter pilot an honest smile, despite never really reaching her lifeless empty eyes she transmitted her thoughts on the matter. "Not so bad me thinks. I don't have to do this every day. Worse for you I wager." The freighter pilots face disappeared off screen briefly and judging by the garbled sound that reached through the comms he had just redecorated the freighter cockpit with a  brand new glob of spit. "No kiddin. Eck I can navigate this pile using only the bleeps and virrs from the nav-comp. Frankly, I prefer it that way. Think I'll smash something if I have to look at any more green blinking nav paths." Mjuiri gave a snort in reply. "Stop complaining. Excitement is the last thing you should want piloting that thing. There was a bit of hassle with the yellows out by the new survey sites. Bet you don't want those breathing down your neck. Besides you at least have room to stretch in there..." She was feeling a bit stiff. Upgraded as it was, there was no changing the basic design of the 11 cockpit. It was cramped. The freighter pilot chuckled. "Yellows or whatever, that's what I have you for, right!" It was very much a statement. A true one at that Mjuiri supposed, even though to be frank she saw this more like hitching a ride then anything else. She didn't have a fold booster after all...

"Well, you are on well paved trade lanes now." Mjuiri transmitted bringing the comm channel between her and the freighter alive again after a longer period of silence. There was only so much that could be said after all, and at least Mjuiri had no problem with the silence of space. "Time for me to leave you on your own." The freighter pilot nodded and gave her a thumbs up and confirmation her duty was done and responsibility for his safety now his own and the Scorpii 18 System.

Angling her fighter away from the freighter Mjuiri let the space between them grow a bit before igniting her thrusters at full burn that would set her eventually on the glide path to Buthridas. She let the thrusters burn perhaps a bit more then necessary, but she felt she enjoyed the rush. Besides, she wanted to make sure her craft operated as it should after the fold. It was after all a bit... sensitive. The external heatsinks began painting stripes along her engines as they came to a  dull glow before she cut off settling in for the glide.

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 10:29:28 PM »
2055.08.19 Thursday 26:45 GST/ 2055.08.19 23.45 Local Time
Scorpii 18 System
Planet Buthridas
Leyte Island
Hangers 2 through 5

The flight doc had passed every one of the pilots and EWO's, though he had shaken his head disappointingly upon seeing the bruising of Lance's jaw.  Examination had proven him no worse for the where, though, and sinus pressure was equalized at safe levels.  With a good ribbing, he waved Lance on and the graduates spent the last few hours before dustoff prepping for the flight and ensuring their personal belongings were being taken aboard the transport Snetter.

The graduates that chose to show up in their designated hanger early enough were privy to the academy techs painting the new unit symbols onto each of the VF-5000s.    The paint, subdued to aid in camouflage, still stood out nicely against the digicamo grey, blue, and black.  The design matched the standard paint scheme to the ships of the Three Spheres.  The techs, looking at the near new fighters with love, gave them as thorough an inspection as possible.  Fuel, live ammunition, and target designation and acquisition lasers were handled with care.  The crews busied themselves eagerly, ready to give their best and brightest students a proper sendoff.  Outside the very first storm of the winter season built.  Heavy winds and torrential rain filled the open air above Leyte Island, yet after four years of training and flight in worse conditions, there was no reason to expect the night's flight to be canceled.  It was a good night to be alive.

Offline knight

• Major
  • Uranium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 03:24:54 AM »
ENS Zeliha Kragl
Dragoon's Nest, Ready Room 17 - 1200 Local Time/1500 GST

As the day's briefing began, Zeliha idly skimmed through the contents of her packet. She took the unit patch out, softly rubbing her thumb across it, Seneca Dragons. Her thoughts trailed off as the captain ordered Lance and Frost up front and center.  Zeliha smirked as Lance was handed a silver set of bars and had his wing designated. It was fitting for him to have the Twins on his wing.

She snickered at Lance's comment as she leaned against the corridor wall, “What ever you say, lieutenant.” Her snickering turned to a genuine smile.

Then came the doctor. Always doctors. Zeliha had been interviewed, examined and tested by more doctors in a wider range of specialties in her short time in the military than she ever had been as a civilian. She knew a lot of money, time and resources had gone into their training, but it still seemed odd. She was used to her annual physical followed by a visit or two to the emergency room (storms were storms, and dislodged oxygen tanks hurt).

Zelhia was fortunate enough to arrive at the designated hangar in time to witness the flight crews touching up the squadron's insignia. Despite the subdued nature of the camouflage pattern, the valkyries seemed to pop. Though nice to look at, she would have rather been assigned to a more “broken in” -5000. Ah well. Lance and her would get to break in their beast; earn the weather-worn look. She looked down, her eyes drawn to the colorful patch now resting over her right breast. She was now part of a true squadron – the real deal. She couldn't help but feel pride swell in her.

Waiting for Lance and the rest of Golf, Zeliha lazily sought out the -5000 with her name on it. She circled the valkyrie, staying out of the deck crew's way as she made a visual inspection of the craft. Something seemed off, so she made a second inspection. With a smirk, she knew what was wrong. The beast didn't look aggressive enough. This would have to be remedied, though not for a while- it would take time to convince the deck crew to deface the standard 'Sphere colors, and more time yet to build a good enough rapport with her squadron commanders to get away with the stunt.
Characters:
- ENS Zeliha "Knight" Kragl

Offline Yukiko Fox

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »
Lieutenant Junior Grade Yukiko Thule
Lima-01
Terrified would be an understatement.

Breathing didn't come easy to Yukiko. Today had been a surprisingly big day for her! Promoted to the grand position of LT. should have been an honor well received, Yukiko should have been proud! Her family should have been proud! Everyone should have been happy for her! Thule had worked long and hard in school, longer than a lot of the folks present at the academy. Instead rumors of her sleeping with superior officers rang loud and clear whenever boys thought she wasn't paying attention. Rumors of her family paying the school off assaulted poor Yukiko whenever her female compatriots believed the poor woman out of ear shot.

So there the woman stood, hyper-ventilating in the bathroom as opposed to checking out the ship she had been given. A strand of green hair didn't seem all too appreciative of being cooped up and danced across the field of vision. Just enough to break the young aristocrat out of the self imposed stupor. No... this couldn't be how this whole scenario was going to play out. Yukiko was the best of the best! Her faltering smile did its best to perk up the woman's somber looking reflection. Wasn't she used to this whole thing already? Yukiko had been putting up with this kind of treatment ever since she first started attending the academies. How sad was it? People find out your family owns an island and they start to get all kinds of weird.

She must have looked a fright. The graduate straightened out her bun and tugged at a couple loose seams on her suit. Yukiko had to look her best for the rest of the squad! She was their leader! She had to set a good example regardless of what anybody else thought. Bravely the young woman exited bathroom and made her way down to the appointed hanger. Yukiko would make everyone respect her, she'd earn the respect of her father. It'd just take a little longer.

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »
Scorpii 18 System
Planet Buthridas
Leyte Island
Dragoon’s Nest
Corridor outside hangers

David "Spaz" Hutchinson hurried through the corridors frantically twisting a datapad with a facility map displayed in his hands. However he passed nav was a wonder to most everyone that knew him, but somehow it was all just so much easier from the air he thought. Doesn't help one bit if I don't get to my bird though... he thought grimly as he hurried along, trying to figure the map out.

Entering yet another cross section, still struggling with the map, David performed a near perfect body tackle on Lieutenant Junior Grade Yukiko Thule, sending them both tumbling to the floor in a flurry of flailing limb accompanied by an assortment of yelps and curses. Climbing back to his feet David hurried over to the poor woman he had just ran down offering a helping hand and excuses flowing like water on Buthridas. "Sorry sorry, are you alright? Here let me help you up. Its totally my fault. Mind someplace else. You are alright though, right? They call me Spaz for good reason I reckin..."

That he had just ran over a LT and his wing leader on top of that didn't quite register with David, his eyes busy with scanning for his datapad that had went flying somewhere during the collision.

Offline arvanna

• Brigadier General
  • Meltrans only reason I need to support cloning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 02:22:17 AM »
Scorpii 18 System
Planet Buthridas
Leyte Island
Hangers 2 through 5

Ensign. Baressa "Haridan" Chardona
Foxtrot 3
Pumped and ready to go.

God Baressa hated the pre-flight physical and as such was her usual model patient in order to get in and out of the med-bay and out of the clutches of the doctors as quickly as possible. Free she wasted no time in making her way to their assigned hangar, while not quite skipping with eagerness.

She wanted to get into the air but wasn't about to skip on doing things right, taking a moment to speak with the crew chief first she got to it. Walking slowly around the newly painted Star Mirage the young pilot inspected the control surfaces, hard points, vernier thrust ports and access panels. Everything checking out she took a minute to stand back and actually check out the new paint job, nodding in approval before climbing into the cockpit.

Slipping on her helmet Baressa began her pre-flight checks, all green again so she looked around the outside to see how the others were doing?
when at first you don't succeed your obviously not leading the target enough !!

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
Scorpii 18 System
Planet Buthridas
Leyte Island
Hangers 2 through 5

Technician Lt Alfonse Dietreig climbed the ladder up next to Ensign Chardona and handed her the final checklist with the numbers of fuel and ordinance.  "Ensign, you're all geared up and ready to go.  Good luck at your new assignment.  Oh, and do me a favor will you?  When you meet Captain Jones, let him know that he STILL owes me one hundred twenty three Spheres."  Lt Dietreig smiled and waited for Chardona's response before climbing back down the ladder.

Offline MustangGT02

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »
Quiet and Calculating...
Foxtrot-02

Hayden, now out of the medical bay and with his seal of approval, made his way quietly to the locker area to get into his flight gear.  As he suited up, his thoughts were dwelling on the events from graduation and now his being assigned to Gideon.  He would have to prove himself to his new commanders and maybe be given a squad of his own in the future.  the thought brought a smile to his face as he stood and grabbed his helmet.  He closed his locker and stepped out.

As he made his way towards his assigned machine, he took a moment to examine the fresh paint job.  Not bad.  His face couldn't hide his satisfaction as he got close enough to touch it with a gloved hand.  As he ran his hand down the body of the fighter, he closed his eyes and he was flying it over his home and he was, for the first time in a very long time, truly happy.  This experience was an even match to that of his music.

Finally dropping his hand, he opened his eyes and noticed a crew man there looking at him.  Hayden smiled and motioned to the fighter. 

"Nice work on the paint.  This is a beautiful fighter and I cant wait to take her for a spin." 

With that, Hayden climbed the ladder and hopped into the cockpit.  He took a quick look around and noticed Baressa already seated and had her helmet on.  He shook his head and then put his on too, but kept the face visor up.  Running through the pre-flight power up procedures, he opened a channel to her.

"Haridan....Apollo.  Is something wrong?"

He waited for her reply and his voice was calm and even toned.  He genuinely was curious.