Author Topic: 2055.08.21 Saturday  (Read 18555 times)

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
2055.08.21 Saturday
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
2055.08.21 Saturday 00:00 GST

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
Re: 2055.08.21 Saturday
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:33:23 AM »
The morning of Saturday 2055.08.21 found the personnel of the Chaerilidae waking pleasantly to their new surroundings.  Combat technicians, intelligence officers, pilots, electronics warfare officers, bridge crew, and gunnery officers all awoke refreshed and with the sense that they all had accomplished the impossible in arriving at the Solar Defense Force Advanced Tactics and Training Academy.  Despite the Spartan quarters assigned to the new students, the beds they slept in were comfortable and everyone felt rested beyond what they would expect.  The previous evening's awkward social situations were a thing of the past.  With no duty in the morning, each was able to wake up at their own pace for a change, but when they did wake up the new pilots and EWOs found a message on each of their new personal computers.  It read thus:

Dear Chickidees,

As newly arrived initiates to the creme de la creme, you are invited to partake in a quick passing of the torch, so to speak, at fifteen hundred hours.  The location itself is a secret, but we guarantee that should you dive into this riddle you will find it very shallow.  Four decks from the surface is the waterline.  Find the water, and you find the drinks.  Be there, or you'll regret it.

Sincerely yours,
Dinner Squadron.

Offline Lance

• Colonel
  • Official Ninja Lurker
    • View Profile
    • KeeperOf42
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
2055.08.21 Saturday 04:57 GST

LTJG Lance "Gemini" Calleros
Golf Zeero Wun
Dinner Squadron?  Sounds like someone got hungry.

The morning came and Lance's long-sense groomed habits had him waking early never a person who understand or slept in as he slid out of his bed shaking out his hair letting it settle in.  The pilot opening his eyes for a moment and glanced at his EWO he quickly leaving a second note at Zelhia's desk that he was going to hit the gym.  It was early and Lance felt that...itch.  The sucker-punch that Captain Cassel had given them yesterday and that freak shot back from graduation were both reminders that Lance's reactions weren't ingrained enough for the pilot.  If he was going to be a flight leader he had to be better, if he was going to protect those he cared about he had to be better.  Carefully the pilot found his weighted gloves, wrist weights, and ankle weights.  He checked them strapping on the wrist and ankle weights after he got changed into a training outfit.

His cheek was still sore from that shot.  He twitched his jaw lightly and turned spotting the message on his computer from...Dinner Squadron?  Lance shot up a brow now and made a mental note to find this area before 1500 Hours and headed off to the gym.

It was everything the pilot expected and more the gym having a deserted feel at this hour as the pilot made his way to the punching bag and strapped his gloves off hitting them together deliberately as he gazed at the training bag.  His tennis shoes squeaked lightly on the flooring as Lance suddenly threw a strong punch and began to train.  His moves weren't the most graceful but they were quick and methodical the pilot hammering at the bag.  His ROTC instructor had taught him that there were always situations where you need to learn how to handle yourself in close-quarters.  You wouldn't be in the cockpit all the time so you had to be ready.  He had forced Lance to train with weights to restrict his movements as well as build him up to make the pilot use more economical combat moves, no energy wasted so to speak.

The bag thudded over and over as the pilot worked in punches, shifting and driving in sweeping kicks, hard knees, and circling about the bag now.  He ducking around phantom shots as he worked the thudding sound of him working the bag over and over heard, Lance's gym bag against the wall near the training bag.  Lance's targets were simple ones he had been taught to disable an opponent as quickly as possible, mobility, the ability for them to inflict pain on you, and finally consciousness.  His hits coming in high, low, medium as he worked at it.  His concentration focused right then as he settled into his routine.
Characters
LTJG Lance 'Janus' Callaeros
ENS Keiko 'Pixie' Skylark

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:13:01 PM »
2055.08.21 Saturday 05:15 GST

Major/Commander Mjuiri "Void" Kavryn
Stalking the Chaerillidae corridors

Mjuiri glanced at the chronometer at her wrist for what felt like the billionth time. It was still early. Less so then it was last time she checked of course, but still way too early. Some times she woke up at the strangest hours fully rested no matter how little she had slept. Another "gift" from her spirita exposures she guessed. Sometimes it was handy enough for sure, but since the occurrences where seemingly random it was impossible to count on, and usually it just messed up her day-night rhythm. She had taken to pace the corridors of the chaerillidae and had done so for the past 2 hours. The tour Zed had taken her on yesterday had given her a decent grasp on the ship, but some repetition where usually needed for information to stick properly. Besides, there was no way she could sleep any more now, and she already dreaded the night. She would be tired early for sure because of this.

Her pacing had brought her near the around the gym section and to her surprise she heard the rhythmic thuds of boxing practise from inside. No not boxing. Some thuds are different. Heavy sounding but still with that clatch-like sound. Larger impact area. Elbow or knee? Her curiousity drove her on and she stepped into the gym itself. Pale eyes darted quickly side to side before calmly sweeping the area. Always a quick scan first. The mind would sort out anything that needed a closer inspection. Motion is always registered first, followed by hostile shapes, bright colours, then came details. In this particular case the only motion was the single person working punches and kicks, nothing out of the ordinary. The details where all the more interesting.

Not bothering to announce her presence, but not really making any effort to be sneakier then usual Mjuiri walked in and leaned against the wall, watching. Having been up early and it still being off duty she had opted against any uniform wear and gone for what she had brought with her herself. Sneakers, large baggy-ish low cut cargo pants held in place with a belt, a loose fitting tank top Mjuiri made sure was a bit big to make sure it would always cover her stomach at the cost of it perhaps sitting a bit low at times and a large-ish hoodie kept open in front and the hood hardly ever used. They where comfy clothes and a good contrast to the stricter uniforms she had to endure most of the time. Putting her hands in her hoodies pockets she watched Lance practise. To her annoyance the first thing she noted was not weather his technique where good or not, but that he looked good. She grimaced slightly at that, but it didn't stop her from occasionally letting her eyes wander the lines of his body or linger at his face once he twisted so she could see anything more then the back of his head. Sure beats pacing the corridors....

Offline Lance

• Colonel
  • Official Ninja Lurker
    • View Profile
    • KeeperOf42
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
Golf Zeero Wun
Something watching?

Lance worked, that same methodical movement when he finished one move he was already flowing into the second move, his strikes were swift and economical having a surprising power to it given that the blond was the smallest pilot on Chaer he shifting his steps calmly and deliberately.  His movements weren't any 'professional' martial art that civilians learned but rather it was up and close military style.  He delivered his kicks and drove in his punches having now worked in elbows as well as the kneeing.  There was an economy to his technique preferring efficient moves that struck and allowed him to quickly follow up to the next hit.  He never showed his back to the training bag always keeping his eyes on it.  Even his dodges and jukes were part of his economical movement only just enough of a dodge so he could either roll with a blow or make it just barely miss.

He noticed something, movement out of the corner of his eye as he drove one steely uppercut into the bag and then caught it with his hands to stop the bags movements.  The pilot was starting to get a sweat going as he turned to glance over his shoulder not used to someone being up at this hour.  He had always gotten up early to have time to himself before the busy day swept him for something.  He gave a small blink at seeing Commander Kavryn watching him as he shifted and walked to his bag.

"Good morning Commander Kavryn, hope you're better recovered from your long flight in," the pilot said flashing a polite if dazzling smile as he moved over picking up the towel from on top of his bag and wiping his face calmly, blue eyes gazing over the towel and at the Zolan.
Characters

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
The gym

Her ears twitching once Mjuiri pushed herself from the wall as Lance spoke to her. "Yes, all rested up." She replied, somehow sounding a bit irritated at that. "Just call me Void. I'll get enough formality to last a 20 lifetimes soon enough I bet." She smiled slightly, though her eyes again seemed unaffected. "I'm afraid I don't recall all your names yet. You are... one of the LTs, yes? Of the newly arrived students, yes?" If anything her accent came through more now then it did the day before during her short speech in front of the pilots.

Offline Lance

• Colonel
  • Official Ninja Lurker
    • View Profile
    • KeeperOf42
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »
Golf Zeero Wun
Something watching?

"That's good at least, I know I got pretty stiff from a long training flight we had back at Flight School," Lance admitted taking care not to admit he had even longer shuttle flights back when he was acting as his eyes studied Mjuiri briefly now.  AT her comment of just calling her Void his nose twitched very faintly.  That was easier said then done Lance had been drilled on regulations repeatedly.

"I can't say just calling you by your callsign will be easy," he admitted now as he heard her questions and then nodded.

"Lieutenant Junior Grade Lance Callearos, current leader of Golf Flight," he said respectively and calmly now as his gaze met the zolan's.
Characters

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
The gym

At the mention of being stiff from flights Mjuiri unconsciously pushed her shoulders back and held them there briefly. Her body fondly remembered the massage she had got the day before. At the mention of golf flight one hand made it up from her hoodie pocket to scratch at the base of one of her ears.

"Golf flight?" She said. "Thanks for the cover." She grinned at that.

"You usually up this early punching bags? Seems you had a bit more then just basic practise, yes?" She walked a few steps towards the bag before pausing and turning back to look at lance thoughtfully. "Or perhaps your standard routines include this.. fluidness?"

Offline Lance

• Colonel
  • Official Ninja Lurker
    • View Profile
    • KeeperOf42
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
Golf Zeero Wun
Studying the Commander.

"I was trained by Lieutenant Commander Ryland actually," Lance admitted now.  "He helped train and develop me during my years in High School and the academy only solidified that skill," he admitted as he calmly undid his gloves letting them hit the floor with a CLANK sound as he gazed at her.  The pilot still wearing his ankle and wrist weights.

"I guess I haven't thought about it much I was taught never to waste a movement when you complete one move immediately move into the next without hesitation.  According to him part of hand to hand is about who takes advantage of their opponents hesitence and wasteful movements.  The same goes true once you're in a VF.  Develop yourself outside the cockpit to prepare for the cockpit was his method," he admitted with a smile now.
Characters

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
The gym

Mjuiri nodded slowly as Lance explained about his training. Her eyes darted to the weights as they hit the floor. Fast as they darted they still didn't give away much of anything. She turned away and walked the rest of the way to the punching bag as Lance continued his explanation.

"<...> The same goes true once you're in a VF.  Develop yourself outside the cockpit to prepare for the cockpit was his method"

"I suppose in a way." She shrugged. "I'm not very impressive really. Not very strong." She did a few jabs at the bag, before slouching down assuming a boxer stance and increasing the jabs, before delivering a few solid one-two's. The bag didn't seem too impressed. The force wasn't all that great. Good technique, good usage of her body to maximise what strength she had. But over all, not that much impact. "I'm not that dexterous either. Bet most of you students rank higher in reaction tests too." She turned from the bag and looked at Lance again. "I'm confident I'd down either one of you in a VF though, and quite a few of you in hand to hand as well. Everyone has their weakness. Any man, no matter how big, goes down with a hit to the jaw at the right angle. Same with VFs. The base of the wings on a high G turn. The soldier mode shoulder joints from a low angle, the canopy in fighter or gerwalk. Its all about reading the situation, yes? That is universal. VF, hand to hand, driving. Its the same sort of sense, yes? The.. fluidness your teacher has taught rely on this in some sort me thinks." She took a few steps back from the bag and gestured to it with one hand. "This one offer not much to read though. I think its use is limited in learning what you have use for in a VF, no?"

Offline knight

• Major
  • Uranium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »
ENS Zeliha Kragl
Headed to officer's mess, 2055.08.21 Saturday

As always, Zeliha awoke at the same time Lance did.  It was rather hard not to wake up with your bunkmate in the small quarters provided to the pilots and EWOs.  She really needed to teach that boy the value of sleeping in when compared to waking at the crack of dawn.  Four years at the academy and she had been unsuccessful; she doubted a lifetime would be long enough to convince the boy.  She didn’t find it necessary to be up early and, with an unconcerned sigh, placed her pillow over her head, and promptly went back to sleep.

With a satisfied yawn, Zeliha finally rolled out of her bed.  Her barely-wake stretching stopped instantly as she saw the time, her face that of annoyance as her shoulders slumped.  The clock on the wall read ten minutes past when Lance had awoken and left. So much for sleeping in, Zeliha thought as she rubbed sleep from her eyes. As she changed, Zeliha read the message her computer had been flashing a frantic “NEW MESSAGE” for.  She pondered the riddle as she pulled her blouse over her head, picking up her PDA as she left her quarters.

Zeliha cranked the riddle around in her head.  The simple answer was four decks below the physical waterline as it rested on-planet.  That would put it somewhere above the middeck of the ship.  The Chaerilidae sat low in the water, and the storm compounded the riddle.  Zeliha hadn’t had a chance to see how the ship rested when in calm waters.  It would be simple enough to look up the details of the waterline of the Chaerilidae later.  Right now Zeliha was hungry.

Shower and come get breakfast, early bird.

Zeliha sent the message on its way to Lance, hammering out a second to the Twins:

Last to the mess buys the flight's breakfast.

With that, she turned to make her way to the officer’s mess.
Characters:
- ENS Zeliha "Knight" Kragl

Offline MustangGT02

• Lt. Colonel
  • Dont hate the player...hate the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
Ensign Hayden Grimm
Quiet and Calculating...
Foxtrot-02

Hayden had awakened early on a day that it wasn't necessary to get up early and was put off by this.  He had enjoyed his evening with Baressa and as he lay there staring at the ceiling over his bunk, he tried to think what he would do to pass the extra time until time to report for duty.  He thought about playing his guitar but shrugged that off because he wouldn't want to wake his room mate up so decided to quietly exit the room and get a workout in the gym before meeting up with the others for some breakfast.

He rolled his legs out over the side of his bed and stood stretching.  He had decided to wear gym shorts to bed in respect to his female roomie and as he moved around the room, he tried to be as quiet as possible grabbing a shirt and his shoes and finally his gym bag before leaving the room.  He just hoped the door would not wake Baressa as it closed behind him.  In the corridor, Hayden leaned momentarily against the wall and ran a hand through his hair and his mind went directly to the night before and his confession to this woman that intrigued him so.  Putting that out of his mind, Hayden began making his way to the gym.  As he walked, he pulled out his PDA and typed a quick message to a couple of people.

TO: Lieutenant JG Calleros

Hey L-T.  Im heading to the gym...care to join me before breakfast?

And then he sent another...

TO: Ensign Chardona

Went to the gym...see you in the mess for breakfast?  Oh...enjoyed last night and if I woke you this morning, I am sorry.

Satisfied by the messages, Hayden finally arrived at the gym to see his friend Lance was already there along with the Major from the hangar.  It looked like they were having a conversation and that Lance had already finished his workout.  This was not a surprise, seeing as Lance had always done this through their years at the academy.  HE walked over to the pair and waited for them to take notice before he spoke up.

"Good morning sirs.  Am I interrupting?"

"Have you...I do.  Outnumbered...they are." ~ Yoda from the Clone Wars

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 07:58:41 PM »
The gym

Before Mjuiri and Lance could really finish their conversation they where joined by another member of the new batch of student. Mjuiri glanced at her chronometer again. They where nearing more normal times for people to get up but still early for a day off in her book. Way too early.

"Good morning sirs.  Am I interrupting?"

Mjuiri shrugged. "Is every Scorpio a morning person?" She replied with a short laugh. "No you are not interrupting. Mr. Calleros was simply explaining how punching bags made him a better pilot." The smirk on her face was most definitely teasing, though her unchanging eyes put a bit of doubt whether it was indeed just a joke or if it held an ounce of actual sarcasm in it.

Offline Azazel

• Hero of the MRG
  • Lt. Colonel
  • Soylent green is good for the skin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 04:44:32 AM »
ENS Nilke “Red One” Dalkarn
Golf-Oh-Two’s driver

Nilke stared up at the multitude of coloured pipes that were bolted to the ceiling, barely visible in the stateroom’s near absolute darkness, letting out a sigh before she closed her eyes again. The red-haired pilot didn’t have to look at the tiny screen mounted on the alarm clock sitting next to the bunk she was sleeping on to be able to tell that it was early in the morning. Sleep’d proven difficult to achieve most of the evening -staying asleep that is- thus enabling the red-haired pilot to keep track of time somewhat accurately.
Despite the silent pleading not to wake up again until the freaking clock actually rang, all the excitement brought about by the day before seemed to have been too much for the red-haired pilot to take for her to be able to sleep throughout the entire night without waking up every hour or so. For what had to be the hundreth time, Nilke told herselt that she probably should've spent some time in the gym before going to bed. She would've been able to burn some of that excess energy that way, made things a bit easier for herself.

Oh GAWD!  The red-haired pilot told herself a few minutes later, her eyes closed as tightly as she possibly could have them. This is ridiculous!

She cursed inwardly and, having reached her patience’s limit, decided to get out of bed and do something instead. A glance at the diminutive-sized alarm clock’slet her know that she was right in regards to the time and that it wasn't all that early for her to go out and do a bit of aimless wandering for a bit.

Careful not to disturb her still sleeping sister, Nilke sat up on the bed. Balling her hands into fists, she stretched her arms fully. As she did so, however, her eyes opened wide as the sensation of sharp needles being stuck all over her right shoulder and upper back struck her, all at once. She winced at the pain, yet managed to keep herself from making any sounds over it. Stupid boxes... she told herself. The pain itself wasn't all that bad really, but it'd caught the red-haired pilot off guard, especially since she'd been hoping that the hot shower the night before, -plus an entire night of rest, even if not all that successful- would be enough to restore her somewhat sore muscles.

Sensing her twin sister's discomfort, Alma stirred on her laying place on top of the bunk they'd shared throughout the night, a frown showing on her face before she opened her eyes. Her sleepy gaze soon came to rest on Nilke, who was sitting on the bed next to her. "Are you okay?" she asked. "Yeah." Nilke replied, smiling as she pulled on the bed's covers until they were resting all the way up to Alma's shoulders.

-"I didn't mean to wake you up." The red-haired pilot said in apology.
-"...don't worry." Alma said, a yawn not letting her ask the question she had in mind before it had passed. "...what do you wanna do?"
-"I don't know. I'll wander around the ship for a bit... shoot the breeze and all that. Be back before breakfast."
-"...you want company?" Alma said as she began moving so she sat up on the bed as well, her right hand moving upwards towarder her face to rub her eyes so she woke up fully faster. Nilke placed her hands on her sister's shoulders and didn't let her move, but helped her back to bed instead.
"Nah. Get some more rack time." God knows one of us'll need it. The red-haired pilot chuckled inwardly as that thought came to mind. She wasn't all that concerned about her current lack of sleep. She'd go to bed early that night and it'd be fixed. As easy as that.

After getting a sleepy-sounding "...mmkay" as a reply from Alma, Nilke stood up and headed for where she'd stored her belongings, moving carefully so she didn't have to use any of the lights the room was equipped with to find her way. As quickly as the darkness allowed her to, the red-haired pilot changed into what had to be the most comfortable attire she owned. A pair of running shorts, a standard-issue, grey coloured sports top, complemented by a pair of running shoes.
She was arranging her hair into a ponytail by the time she stepped out of the room, cycling the door shut so the light didn't bother Alma.

"Okay... so what's next?" She mumbled to herself as she stood in the empty hallway, thinking of something to do. She thought of making her way over to the flight deck and watch aircraft being launched before realizing that there wouldn't be any at the time. Recalling that she could probably use some exercise to try and get her back and shoulder back to normal, the red-haired pilot settled on the gym as her destination.

A few minutes later, Nilke arched an eyebrow as she entered the room and spotted Lance, Hayden and Major Kavryn already there.

"Uhm... did I miss the memo on early workouts or something?" she said, adding a "Ma'am." and a corteous nod in the Major's direction before long.

Offline MustangGT02

• Lt. Colonel
  • Dont hate the player...hate the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
Ensign Hayden Grimm
Quiet and Calculating...
Foxtrot-02

"Is every Scorpio a morning person?"

Hearing the laugh that followed made Hayden smile as he set his bag down nearby and wrapped his hands for some time on the bag as well.  He looked back to her when she continued to speak.

"No you are not interrupting. Mr. Calleros was simply explaining how punching bags made him a better pilot."

Hearing that made Hayden cut his eyes to Lance and then shake his head with an even wider smile.

"Still giving that speech my friend?  Although I have to admit...it could not have harmed your ability."

Remembering that lance had told him the same thing at the academy and hearing that he was telling others the same actually made Hayden think that there may be some truth to it but shook that from his mind as he finished wrapping his hands and feet as well.  He then stood straight and moved over to the bag and started working a couple combinations with his hands before ever throwing his first kick.  The punches were popping the bag sharply and it wasnt until he hears a familiar voice that he paused and saw the source.

"Uhm... did I miss the memo on early workouts or something?...Ma'am."

Hayden smiled at the red head and then continued to hit the second bag in the room.  He was conscious of the Major and if she was to speak again, he would pause to listen.

"Have you...I do.  Outnumbered...they are." ~ Yoda from the Clone Wars