Author Topic: VIFA-3 BW2 Mission 1: you can (not) advance  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Re: VIFA-3 BW2 Mission 1: Zero Plus One
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
Time since Sheik Yer-bootii took control: 18 days
2059.01.17; about 09:00.
Orbit of "Another Planet", in the M55NGC6909 Planetary Cluster

"Colonel, I have reconsidered.  I'll take a VF-19S Excalibur with (...)  I'll be back shortly."

Yamato nods and takes note of the change.

After Cassel is out of the room, she looks at the clock, her watch, and the squadron roster in her datapad.  "I guess the other members of the squad won't be joining us on this mission."

She looks at the door that Cassel and Yoshimoto had exited out of.  "Does the old man have that much confidence in us four?  Or do they honestly believe that it'll be that easy a mission?"

When the others give her a look, she shrugs and says, "just saying what I know you're all thinking."

Corridor

"Major General, my words spoken were out of line.  For that I must apologize.  (...)  Otherwise you have my word that as long as it can be helped, no member of this crew, nor any person in the past, will die needlessly nor without full consideration of the weight of the decision itself.  I am here to do my job, General."

Major General Yoshimoto stairs with eyes that pierce through to Cassel's soul as Cassel apologizes and gives his reasoning.

After a long minute of silence as he contemplates what Cassel says, he speaks, "understood.  Apology accepted."

With unblinking eyes that bore into Cassel's, he adds, "now, send Yamato out to talk with me."

Yoshimoto doesn't stop staring at Cassel until he passes through the door back to the briefing room.

Briefing Room

Cassel indicates that Yamato should go out and talk with Yoshimoto.  She promptly heads out.

Yamato is only out of the room for a minute, before she returns, holding a datapad.

She holds it up triumphantly, and knocks it a couple of times lightly on the side of her head.  "Mission details," she says, somewhat excited.

She puts the datapad down on the nearest table, and activates the information.  It starts with a routine data block on the planet the target is located on - Earth like gravity and atmospheric conditions.  Somewhat dry and hot - comparable to some of the deserts and more arid places on Earth.

The screen focuses in one one desert: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/BlackWraiths2/Maps/Job1basin.jpg

Yamato's eye's bulge slightly with shock as she says, "whoah!"

It's in response to the target being indicated as being under and in the middle of a large pile of Zentraadi ships.  It's mind bending either the force required to disable and dump that quantity of ships, or the audacity of the people who conceived and completed a plan to make a big pile of Zentraadi ships.

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/BlackWraiths2/Maps/Job1basinI4.jpg

The map zooms in further to within and under the pile of Zentraadi ships.  It's a sheer maze.  There is a circular area, roughly 350 to 500 m around the location of the Janus that is labelled unknown.

"Alright," says Yamato.  "We dive in coming along the flank of this mountain range," Yamato's finger traces along the mounts from 3-D to 3-G.

"Then, we fly top speed nape of the Earth until we get to I-4... where we slow and change to GERWALK and cost along this 'corridor' between the ships", her finger traces a path from J-4 to J-6.

"Then we make a hard right and head between the ships until roughly the center of here," her finger traces along from J-6 to L-6, stabbing L-6 when she says here.

"At this point, we'll head underground in two fire teams.  Cassel and Kavryn in one team, and Archer and myself in the other.  Cassel's team will head to a concealed point along the medium sized gunship on the "North", and my team will head to a similar spot on that gunship to the "South".  One pilot will stand guard, while the other uses (head) lasers to cut a VF sized hole into the hull."

Yamato taps the datapad to zoom in to the underground map.  "We'll then make our ways through these tunnels, and meet up about... here."  She stabs a location about 550 to 600 m away from the location of the Janus.

"After that, Kavryn will take point.  Archer in the middle, behind me, and Cassel will bring up the rear."

She looks at each pilot in turn.

"This should both maximize our chances at mission success, AND provide at least two exit points, if things hit the fan."

Yamato straightens up.  "Now, on approach, I want full passive sensor suits active, and your eyes peeled for anything.  And I do mean anything.  If it looks like there'll be opposition, we'll adjust the plan to compensate.  If it looks like it's a trap, we'll bug out before we're noticed, and come back with reinforcements and a new plan.

Lastly," Yamato's eyes settles on Archer, "we're not going in for a slug-fest."  Yamato's eyes flight to Cassel's and Kavryn's before returning to Archer's.  "It's go in hot, get the Janus, and get out.  If there's shooting, we'll only be doing covering fire until we get our asses out of there.

Any questions?"

OOC: more info: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2528.msg38366#msg38366 scroll down to locations - Messiah Planetary Cluster.  Ignore ?,?,?.  Only ? is indicated as the location of the Janus.

Offline Halley

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »
Wolfie probably have a scared look in his face when he was listening the details of the mission because Yamato looked at him and said:

"we're not going in for a slug-fest."

The Recon pilot sighted, a bit more relieved: Going to this mission without Mindy stress him a lot but knowing the leader of the group will be with him and that will not be a combat mission mke him feel better. Maybe he was stronger in another life, but in these he was not as strong then Mindy.

"It's go in hot, get the Janus, and get out.  If there's shooting, we'll only be doing covering fire until we get our asses out of there.

Any questions?"

"Yes, i got some: At first, what the Janus looks like? Second: Since you seem to have detailled scans of the site, can we see a 3D randomisation or a video feed to see what we will expect from the structural of theses tunnels? By the way, should we expect any danger from the site's own fown, flore or earth's details?"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:23:42 PM by Halley »
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

- A Test Pilot on New Edwards Base

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »
Back in the briefing room Zed settled in next to Mjuiri and wrote out the letters 'S-C-R-D?' when he heard the details of being underground with only two entrances.  He showed Mjuiri the tablet knowing she'd know exactly what he was referring to and then brought up the ordinance list for his VF-19, sending through a request to the crew chief to load up one of the internal palettes with what he required.

Any questions?"

Zed nodded and was about to voice his concerns when the young pilot spoke first.  "Yes I got some:...own fawna, flora or earth's details?"  He frowned at how the question was asked, but the details themselves were what Zed wanted to know himself.  "For that matter, Colonel, why are we trying to obtain the Janus at this point in time?  Sheik Yer-bootii isn't the kind've man to leave something so integral to his success unguarded, or for that matter, overlook the defense of his takeover.  If anything we should be go back to a point before he altered history, otherwise we need to assume we are walking into a trap."

OOC: Sketchley, I am referring to the ordinance we spoke about in PM.  If you require additional in character details I can expand on it.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 11:24:17 AM »

"Yes, i got some: At first, what the Janus looks like? Second: Since you seem to have detailled scans of the site, can we see a 3D randomisation or a video feed to see what we will expect from the structural of theses tunnels? By the way, should we expect any danger from the site's own fown, flore or earth's details?"

Yamato looks at Archer then back to the data pad.  She looks at him, "as this 2D hand-drawn map of the tunnels was based on information retrieved from another reality, I don't actually trust it to be accurate.  Nevertheless, toss me your 'pad".

She takes Archer's datapad and lines up the IR I/O and transmits the information to his datapad.  While transmitting, she adds, "I was told that the planet's a dust-ball, and that the only life form spotted... in the other reality, that is... are giant cockroaches.  You know, the kind found on Zentraadi ships."

Yamato's eye's sparkle a bit when she talks about the cockroaches.  She also watches Kavryn intently to see her reaction, if there is one.

Yamato hands the datapad back, Archer opens the map file, and sees that it's... just a hand drawn map - something that any kid could do on black paper if they had a neon-green crayon.

"I also have no information on the shape, size or mass of the Janus.  All I can infer is that it is portable... in the sense that it isn't permanently fixed to the floor."

"For that matter, Colonel, why are we trying to obtain the Janus at this point in time?  Sheik Yer-bootii isn't the kind've man to leave something so integral to his success unguarded, or for that matter, overlook the defense of his takeover.  If anything we should be go back to a point before he altered history, otherwise we need to assume we are walking into a trap."

OOC: Shush, you!

BIC: Yamato looks squarely at Cassel, "we're going to retrieve it here and now, because that's what we've been ordered to do.  If we're lucky, Yer-bootii won't have found the time to install some type of defence.  If it is a trap, because we're expecting it, we'll be able to avoid it.  Right?"  She looks at the other three with eyes asking if their combat abilities are up to it.

Yamato's mobile phone beeps.  She pulls it out and reads the message.  Her face goes livid with anger.  She takes two steps forward, and backhand slaps Cassel across the face.*

"What the fuck are you fucking playing at?!  If you want fucking explosives for your fucking VF, fucking tell me!  Fucking piece of shit!"

Yamato's furiously angry eyes flit to Kavryn, "what the fuck are you looking at?!"

She takes one step in Kavryn's direction and points a finger angrily at Kavryn's face.  " I don't care what you know, who you know or who you had to fuck to get onto my team!  As far as I'm concerned, you and fuck-face," she gestures angrily in Cassel's direction," are the two that got Major Kim killed!"

Yamato then remembers Archer, and swivels at him, shaking an angry fist in his direction.  "And you're a fucking baby-faced green-stick fresh out of diapers!"

She crosses her arms and angrily scowls at the three, some measure of calm returning to her voice.  "This first mission is turning into a major cluster fuck... and we haven't even left the fucking ship!  Do you fucking greenies understand the chain of command?!  When I say jump, you fucking jump!  Understood?!"

She then looks at Cassel, "and no more of this fucking bullshit going over my head.  The next time you do it, it'll be your fucking head on my platter!"

* Painful hand mark for the next hour or so, but no permanent damage.

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
Zed takes the blow without raising a hand to stop Colonel Yamato.  He lets her finish her tirade about Major Kim, whom Zed had respected greatly, and passively absorbs the insults as they aren't anything new to him.  The next time you do it, it'll be your fucking head on my platter!"  Zed takes a moment and nods, and says, "If you will, Colonel, I didn't think my ordinance load to be something to trivialize your attention with.  However if you require inspecting all of my preflight duties, I have no problems reporting to you everything I do.  I never realized that the automated ordinance system was so above you that you couldn't overrule it in any way.  Now if the briefing is done, I think I will go for my required preflight med check, and from there I will get my flight gear, if that is alright with you, Colonel."  Zed's voice never once reaches a mocking level or even a tone that might imply sarcasm.  Instead his voice is conciliatory and fully appropriate for addressing a superior officer, which may have been the greater insult given the experience and forces still under Zed's command.  Not that Colonel Yamato would be aware of that.  Zed had played his game very close to his chest for the last twelve years, and wasn't about to change for anyone.

Zed waited for the dismissal to perform his duties before standing up and saluting.  As he walks out the door he again stops and addresses Colonel Yamato.  "Colonel Yamato...I would never have called Major Kim my friend.  I was never on her level to quite be anything but her subordinate.  I respected her though, and mourn her loss like I do every person I've served with.  We lost a lot of good people that day, all because of the Sultan.  I may not be the officer that you wish I am, and I know I'm nothing like the man I used to be, but I'm here to stop Sheik Yer-bootii from doing worse than the Sultan, and that means you're going to have to trust me."  He let the words sit in the briefing room and left to find the flight surgeon, not even waiting for Mjuiri to leave the room or catch up with him.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:53:35 AM by Sketchley »

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »
Maj. Mjuiri "Void" Kavryn

Mjuiri smirked shaking her head as Archer posed his questions. Not so much as the questions themselves, it was more the fact she hardly managed to figure out what it actually was he asked about. She would have to remember to ask him about that weird way of talking later.

Yamato's answer was basically that she didn't have any. The thought of giant cockroaches where a bit disturbing, but Mjuiri had more disturbing images than giant cockroaches floating around in her mind. The first prototype fish-man emerged in her mind causing a grimace to twist her mouth. She noticed Yamato looking at her intently and met her eyes with her own unchanging eyes. If Yamato's eyes held a spark, Mjuiri's served as a great contrast, offering nothing but wall of blue.

"I also have no information on the shape, size or mass of the Janus. <...>"
"We just have to look for something looking out of place then, no?" Mjuiri commented with a blank look at her fellow pilots.

Cassel finally brought up the point about this being an obvious trap and waited with ears eagerly perked for Yamato's reply.
"<...> because that's what we've been ordered to do."
Mjuiri frowned. Doing things simply because it was ordered was a nessecity in battle. But not nessecarily before battle. She would have felt immensely better had the given reason for this particular time being something that made tactical sense, like the risks of it being a trap was outweighted by the minimal impact it would have on the timeline or some such. Need to know basis usually meant no one else knew or that they knew something they thought would make you balk.

"<...> because we're expecting it, we'll be able to avoid it. Right?"
Mjuiri nodded slowly mumbling "We do what we must because we can. Not the other way around".

As the briefing looked like it where comming to a close Yamato's phone called for attention. Yamato being the center of everyones attention to begin with Mjuiri simply continued watching and observed with an arched eyebrow how Yamato's face twisted with anger. Her sudden move forward and the almost as sudden backhand slap across Cassel's face had Mjuiri jerking and starting to reach for her sidearm before she could stop herself, right hand lingering by her side. She kept her eyes firmly on Yamato though and even though her eyes did not tell much about her feelings, her tight jaw and tense posture did.

"what the fuck are you looking at?!"
That question was answered easily enough by Mjuiri's eyes not moving from Yamato. The outburst went on with accusations of them causing Major Kim's death. That surprised her. There was much death in her records and some could definitley be said to rest on her shoulders. But hardly Kim. Mjuiri kept silent though she featured a frown that seemed to grow as she waited for the outburst to come to an end.

Zed verbally defended himself admirably enough. The second apology of the day, if that was what it was. It was more of an explanation. Which was proper seeing as there was no fault to apologise for in her mind. Mjuiri did have a feeling Yamato felt differently however.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:39:35 AM by Mr.F »

Offline Halley

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »
OOC: I'm sorry, this mail was ready to be posted last week but the GM Update came before i had time to post it.

Wolfie listened the mission details with deception: he was hoping to get real intel from another dimention but it was looking that Yoshimoto transmit intel on the need to know basis even if the timeline was in peril. At least, he would have some data to put in the flight computer and was preparing himself to took the time to program carefully his radome, when the call came in.

And then, the apocalypse. Yamato slap Cassel and began to insult him beacause of some explosive for a VF? And then she started bitching everyone in the room, including himself! The mechanic looked at her with incredulity while she waved angryly at him:

"And you're a fucking baby-faced green-stick fresh out of diapers!"

"What?"

After her diatribe, Yamato looked like she had pumped out all her steam but still looked angry. Cassel, then Kavryn talked to her, making covered or uncovered menaces that the Recon pilot didn't all understand because he didn't know all their story, and quit the room, Leaving him alone with Yamato, who was looking at him, still angry. He didn't had anything to do with that situation, but he didn't want to be insulted again while he's innocent:

"For my defence, ma'am, I'ved been in the NUNS for six years, and four in a cockpit. I May not have their combat experience or a master in temporal physics, but i'M obedient and reliable. If our superiors wasen't thinking good of me, they never put me in this squadron."

Still a bit frustrated to have been again treated like "the kid", he leave the room. Now in the corridor, he run to the two older pilots:

"I'm sorry Sir, Ma'am, but what the heck was that? It's difficult enouph to have the responsability to go out to save the world, but if you have squeletons in your closet, please make it wait until the mission is over! I wanna live past this mission and see my family again! And for that, we will have to work together."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:13:44 AM by Sketchley »
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »
Zed Cassel

Zed took a moment to collect himself before responding.  "It was going to be my ace in the whole, Colonel.  Yes our plan has a built in backup, but I believe in backups for our backups, especially with Sheik Yer-bootii involved.  The explosive I requested is a double transmitting shaped charged that will magnetically attach to a whole and blast us a third exit, if needed.  I was keeping this to myself because while I can assume you are at least not suicidal, I know nothing about your wingmate there.  Seeing as the cat is out of the bag, I am just going to have to hope he is not a spy.  Any other questions Colonel?"

Zed waited for the dismissal to perform his duties before standing up and saluting.  As he walks out the door he again stops and addresses Colonel Yamato.  "Colonel Yamato...I would never have called Major Kim my friend.  I was never on her level to quite be anything but her subordinate.  I respected her though, and mourn her loss like I do every person I've served with.  We lost a lot of good people that day, all because of the Sultan.  I may not be the officer that you wish I am, and I know I'm nothing like the man I used to be, but I'm here to stop Sheik Yer-bootii from doing worse than the Sultan, and that means you're going to have to trust me."  He let the words sit in the briefing room and left to find the flight surgeon, not even waiting for Mjuiri to leave the room or catch up with him.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:18:03 PM by Sketchley »

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
Recap of the lost GM post:

"If you will, Colonel, I didn't think my ordinance load to be something to trivialize your attention with. (...)  Now if the briefing is done, I think I will go for my required preflight med check, and from there I will get my flight gear, if that is alright with you, Colonel."

"Hold it right there, pilot!" Yamato barks.  "Just what do you think you need explosives for on this mission?"

New GM post:

"It was going to be my ace in the whole, (...) I was keeping this to myself because while I can assume you are at least not suicidal, I know nothing about your wingmate there.  Seeing as the cat is out of the bag, I am just going to have to hope he is not a spy.  Any other questions Colonel?"

Yamato's eyes fall open, her head slouches forward, and she looks completely dumbstruck.

She shakes your head and glowers at him.  "You do realize that we have to trust you as much as you trust the rest of us.  And that trust is based on full disclosure.

Also, Major," she says, icily, "you've let your time in command go to your head and have forgotten how to follow orders."

Yamato snaps back to proper form, all trace of emotion erased from her face.  "That's it, you three are grounded..."

She picks up the the briefing info, continuing, "... and are out of the squad."

As Yamato heads for the door, she places a call on her mobile, "this is Yamato, get Laframboise and..." the door slides shut, cutting off the remainder of her message.

The three find themselves alone in the room.  The noise of the air conditioning, normally barely registrable in the background, is deafening.

OOC: pending how fast everyone posts, we can hammer through the next few GM updates.  I don't want to fast-forward over it as I feel there are a couple of good PC reaction points in them.

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 05:53:45 AM »

"What among the stars?" Mjuiri commented out loud. Grounding them all and kicking them from the squad for something that could only be traced to Cassel? That took the price. In her mind booting even Cassel was of wrong, but that had some logical backing at least. The rest of them... pure insanity. "This is space dust. We are the only ones that have a chance at making this work, I'm not going to be sidelined just like that." Mjuiri frowned. There where too many hasty decisions taken. Too much feeling involved.

Offline Halley

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:50 PM »
William "Wolfie" Archer

Wolfie Watched the fight continue, not knowing how it would end neither what he should do. anyway, thing where going too fast for him. and then, the Reaction missile explosed:

"That's it, you three are grounded... and are out of the squad."

"WHAT? But... but why me? I'ved done nothing!"

Yamato Simply ignored him, taking her mobile phone and giving instruction. The door shut in front of him, who was paralysed by the shock of the situation.

"What among the stars? This is space dust. We are the only ones that have a chance at making this work, I'm not going to be sidelined just like that."

The voice of the Zolan wake him up and he turn in the direction of Cassel:

"I'm sorry Sir, but what the heck was that? If you have squeletons in your closet, You should had leaved them there! I wanna live past this and see my family again! It's was difficult enouph to recieve the responsability to go out to save the world, but now we can't do nothing about it! But i'm not gonna leave the timeline scrapped like you!"

He turned away and exit the room, saying: "I'm gonna see General Yoshimoto! You should do the same if you have any sence of justice!"

Offline Mr.F

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »

Had she known the tirade from Archer her comment would spawn Mjuiri would probably have kept silent. When Archers turned towards Cassel, leaving Mjuiri out of his field of view she gave Zed a look and made an exaggerated facial imitation of a crying baby complete with knuckled hands rubbing at the corners of her ever unchanging eyes. If Archer for some reason should look her way she would of course assume her best impression of innocence incarnated; something her empty eyes could pull of rather well when kept wide open in combination with slightly dropping ears. She had to admit though it also made her look utterly dimwitted.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:08:47 PM by Mr.F »

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:40:38 AM »
Major Zed Cassel

The entire situation seemed to become more surreal by the moment, and Zed felt he was in a nightmare.  To compound the issue he had this child of a pilot whining to him about justice and Mjuiri making funny faces.  Zed began to laugh; he couldn't help himself.  He shook his head and sighed, closed his eyes a moment, counted to ten, and when he opened them all mirth was gone.  "Alright, this is probably going to end badly for whoever they replace us with for the operation.  Kid, go with Major Kavryn and do your preflight and get your flight gear ready in case we get approval for an emergency scramble.  I'm going to try and track down the General and see if we can't avoid losing unnecessary lives."

Zed moved to Mjuiri and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before heading out the door into the hallway.  Grabbing his communicator he tries to contact Major General Yoshimoto or at least track down where he is.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 11:01:43 AM »
OOC: good.  No database crashes this week.

Major Cassel only reaches General Yoshimoto's messaging service.

As each of the three do their thing, the warning siren blares.  Bridge operator Caine belts out, "all pilots to your fighters!  Emergency scramble!  Repeat, emergency scramble!"

Moments later, the entire ship shudders with the impact of a heavy baster cannon.

There is the distant repeating thud of anti-aircraft weapons firing as well as a few additional hits by medium and small sized weapons on the ship's hull.

Not more than 10 seconds after the first announcement, Captain Alistair yells over the ship's intercom, "brace for emergency fold!"

The fold engines shudder and hum to life as the SDFN-08 takes another couple of heavy baster cannon hits.  Power fluctuates in the sections that the 3 pilots are passing through.

Moments later, the ship exits the firefight into the super dimension.

About a minute afterwards, Major General Yoshimoto's voice yells over the radio, "all pilots to their vehicles!  Ground staff, load all the variable craft, destroid's and ship's weapons with anti-spiritia weaponry!  Captains Alistair, Daniel and O'neill, load the anti-spiritia reaction weapons and make sure your PPB capacitor's are fully charged!"

OOC: if and when you're character's arrive in the hangar, you'll find an RVF-171EX (Wolfie), a VF-19S (Cassel), and a VF-22S (Kavryn), being readied.

Offline Zed

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
Major Zed Cassel

Dread and resignation fills Zed the moment Bridge Operator Caine makes the emergency call.  Maybe they'll listen to us next time... Zed's thoughts are cut off by the shuddering of the ship and he mutters under his breath as he stumbles along, "...if there is a next time."  Having not gone far from the ready room it takes Zed only a moment to catch up with Mjuiri.  "Ready to be big god damn heroes again?"  His voice is deadpan and there is no sense of humor in his ironic words.  If anything there's frustration and anger.  General Yoshimoto's call to battle spurs him onward, and he runs to the locker room and dons his flight gear, taking only a moment to have Mjuiri check his seals and to check hers.  "Kid, you need a check?" he asks Wolfie.

That portion of preflight done, Zed hastily makes his way to the hanger and nods in satisfaction at the chaos around them, taking just a moment to spot what is most likely his fighter.  "Come on," he shouts over the din.  He spots the chief tech prepping his fighter and asks, "Anything I need to know about her before we go up?"