Author Topic: Looking for a new home.  (Read 919 times)

Offline ProbotGhost

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Looking for a new home.
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:07:40 AM »
Steve
ghostink@gmail.com

I was on here a while back but didn't really play much. I'm looking to play a Macross game unlike the typical norm, I want to play in sort of a specialized group of freelance pilots who mostly handle odd jobs and such. Sort of like a cross between Macross Frontier, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star. Basically guys flying around in outdated but heavily modified and very personalized Valks and Mecha. Macross Junker might even make a good name for this game (assuming no one has come up with this type of game before).

The types of characters I'm probably best at role playing are the hotshot show off types, like Isamu Dyson or Hotrod from Tranformers the (animated) Movie. I grew up in an Air Force family and have always had in interest in flying, so my know how is good, and I've seen every episode of Macross made so my dork factor is through the roof. :)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Re: Looking for a new home.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »
Would you be interested in GMing such a game?  If so, would you be able to get players for the game?  (Eg acquaintances)

Offline ProbotGhost

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
I've never GMed before and am not familiar with either rule set well enough to do so. I could maybe write up short plot ideas, but the actual mechanics to put them in play is beyond me (I only just got the Mekton books yesterday, and the Palladium system annoys me).

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »
You don't have to be 100% familiar with any game's rules to GM.  The main attribute (and it's required, no matter the rule set picked), is ability to guide the players through encounters and adventures.

It's recommended that you give a brief look over the current and former games in the MRG to see how different GMs have guided their players through various games.

As for rule sets, there are a variety of options.  The simplest is "power of plot".  There are no rules and the plot takes precedent in determining the outcome of any encounter (some players don't like it because it takes randomness out of the game).

Other options with the basic rules online* (so they are easy to reference) are:
Palladium: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/Statistics/Rules/MacrossMicrolitePlatinum.htm
Mekton: http://www.mektonzeta.com/MektonAlpha.pdf
Mini Six: http://antipaladingames.com/Mini_Six.pdf

Though, it must be stressed that game mechanics only really come into play during combat and character creation.  Even then, a lot of us GMs don't have the time to roll out all the dice to resolve combat all the time, so part of the time, we're GMing by the "power of plot" with the dice only serving to randomize things.

Nevertheless, check out the games in the MRG.  And keep in mind that GMing only requires a small set block of time, one day a week (it can be as short as 15 minutes, or considerably longer, depending on how fast you type, how quickly you come up with ideas, and how much descriptive text you add).  It's not hard.

* That I'm aware of.