Author Topic: InfernosCaress character for Steal Valkyries  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Re: InfernosCaress character for Steal Valkyries
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »
Background changes:
The orbital station had been caught in a dispute between factions warring for control of space surrounding Cadogen.

orbital station := Factory Satellite
Cadogen := Cadogen held territory

As the Factory Satellites are high-value assets, the Cadogen group would have it in the traditional place for such facilities - floating in deep space, moving every few weeks or months.  Definitely not in orbit.

One of the warring factions had managed to secure the station's command center during the conflict. Due to the default nature of their programming, the newly awakened clones mistakenly took them to be the rightful owners. They were commanded to destroy the members of the opposing group, and did so without question. Unarmed, many died during ensuing few hours. Afterward, Much of the station's armory had been devastated during the conflict, as had the life support. Several of the main reactors had sustained damage well. While it could be repaired with enough time, the new owners chose to scuttle the factory station rather than risk that it fall to one of their rivals.

station/factory station := Factory Satellite

Which warring faction attacked the Kadogen instillation?  I thought we discussed it being humans or Zentraadi rogues from outside of the Zentreadi Control Zone (= not a faction).

Can you remove or heavily modify the bit about scuttling the factory?  It's a high-value asset, and the Kadogen side definitely doesn't want to lose it.  Given that its a Factory Satellite dedicated to cloning, it has hardly anything of value other than the cloned soldiers it produces (arguably, it also produces the furnishings of the cloned soldiers - clothes, body armour, hand-held guns... perhaps even food).

In the beginning, they were released only when needed, which happened with increasing frequency the deeper their masters dove in to contested space.

Who are their masters?  I thought we discussed that they were operating in the new territories (which isn't contested), and raiding the new human settlements there, and the Zentraadi settlements in the control zone along the borders of the New Territories.

Also, what type of ship are they on?  Modified Zentraadi?  One of the human capital ships?

Eventually, the crew was able to capture a small settlement located in an moon with a breathable atmosphere. It orbited a world in an out-of-the-way system. The system was rarely traveled, so the moon made of a convenient base of operations.

This raises a lot of red flags - such as why didn't the NUNS intervene eventually?  Why would the group want to take on the administrative responsibilities of maintaining a settlement and having to expend energy on keeping the settlers from either rebelling or contacting outside help?  It makes more sense for the group to just settle on the planet, and come to an 'agreement' with the government that they turn a blind I on the group's activities in exchange for the economic benefits (buying food, raw materials, etc.) or bribes, or both.

That life came to an end when yet another of the rival faction stumbled across the system. There were rumors that one of the raiding parties had been followed. Regardless of the reason,the moon came under frequent attack.

It makes more sense for one of the groups that this group raided came back, seeking revenge (perhaps elements of the Kadogen forces, searching for the stolen sisters - and the fact that they are operating well outside of their territory, in an area under NUNS jurisdiction, would explain the limited attack [by this I mean that the Kadogen group could send a fleet of hundreds of thousands of ships, but can't as it would stir up too much trouble.  A raiding ship here and there is a lot less noticeable in the greater scheme of things).

A couple were given to the meager destroid division to serve as medium-range defenders.

Destroid division := Battle Pod and Power Suit division (they are far, far, far more available and inexpensive, and as the group has a history of raiding the Zentraadi supply chain for equipment...).

Kaumirran was most familiar with the variable fighters after having spent much of her time with her hands in their innards. She was assigned to the long-range, or orbital defense, division. She was given more in-depth training in to the functions of the mecha. She was taunt how they operated, and how they moved. After a few false starts, she got the hang of piloting the human-sized war machines. Then she was moved to the front line where she was given a subpar machine to accomplish her task.

Nothing wrong with the events, but we need specifics.  Which Valkyries did she cut her teeth on?  What sub-par Valkyrie was she given?

Kaumirran had heard that her former masters had not been wiped out in the chaos. They were still out there.  The Meltrandi's betrayal had not gone unnoticed for long. She lost contact with her sisters somewhere along the way; they had all vanished in an attempt to prevent capture. No one wanted to end up back in the hands they had bitten.

I quite like this.  Quite inspiring for possible future RPing opportunities.

Alrighty then.  Can you work in those changes, and then we'll take a closer look at Step 2 on http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/character/GCGS/GCGSmain.php  (it appears that you still have a few blank spots [world view, etc.).

Checklist:
Step #1: complete
Step #2: Background - editing; Other Background - pending
Step #3: pending
Step #4: progress unknown
Step #5: progress unknown
Step #6: pending completion of previous steps
Step #7: pending completion of previous steps
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:28:57 PM by Sketchley »

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:45 AM »
Alrighty then.  Can you work in those changes, and then we'll take a closer look at Step 2

Sure, I can.  It might not be until tomorrow or maybe the weekend, depending on how much free time I have.

orbital station := Factory Satellite

I know.  I was switching nouns to prevent over-repetition. Literary styling.

As the Factory Satellites are high-value assets, the Cadogen group would have it in the traditional place for such facilities - floating in deep space, moving every few weeks or months.  Definitely not in orbit.

I was imagining a deep-space Factory, one that had gotten lost over the years. It was in disrepair when the scouting parties came across it. Different groups were all trying to lay claim to it. It took heavy damage in the scuffle, and the group that had taken the command center set it to self-destruct while they made their escape. After all, not only would that prevent it from falling in to a rival's hands, the explosion would destroy everyone who was trying to steal it at the time.

That aside, I have no issue with surviving to conflict.

Which warring faction attacked the Kadogen instillation?  I thought we discussed it being humans or Zentraadi rogues from outside of the Zentreadi Control Zone (= not a faction).

Wouldn't a rogue group BE a faction, even if not a large one?  And I honestly don't which group attacked it. I wasn't here while all of the previous games were being played. I don't know who is who, and who hates who, and who is buds with who. I left it intentionally vague so as to not screw with your setting. If you have a suggestion for a ruthless bunch of jerks, I'd be happy to use them.  :)

I thought we discussed that they were operating in the new territories (which isn't contested), and raiding the new human settlements there, and the Zentraadi settlements in the control zone along the borders of the New Territories.

We discussed that the group she would eventually end up with (the PC group) was in the New Territories. Cadogen, according to the map, is well inside of the Zentraedi Control Zone. The group that took her would not have found the Factory Satellite by accident from outside of it. They had to be operating, at least partially, within the ZCZ. 

Also, what type of ship are they on?  Modified Zentraadi?  One of the human capital ships?

Invid Clam Ship! Nah, I'm kidding. I was not sure what kind of tech the smaller groups would have access to. So, again, I left it vague for Setting's purposes.

This raises a lot of red flags - such as why didn't the NUNS intervene eventually?  Why would the group want to take on the administrative responsibilities of maintaining a settlement and having to expend energy on keeping the settlers from either rebelling or contacting outside help? 

Unregistered Settlement? Privately owned and operated? A people who were looking to live without large governmental oversight?

Hm. I should have been more specific on the part about taking the settlement. I was picturing it as quite small, maybe one main building and a couple of off-shoots to house supplies and equipment. I did not intend for the original occupants to have survived the commandeering.

Destroid division := Battle Pod and Power Suit division (they are far, far, far more available and inexpensive, and as the group has a history of raiding the Zentraadi supply chain for equipment...).

Sounds good to me.

Nothing wrong with the events, but we need specifics.  Which Valkyries did she cut her teeth on?  What sub-par Valkyrie was she given?

Obviously nothing that they were planning on selling on the black market, and anything decent the humans would have kept for themselves. Probably civilian models jury-rigged with usually-functioning weapons systems. I'll add something in about that.

I quite like this.  Quite inspiring for possible future RPing opportunities.

Thank you.  I was trying to give you a hook that you could use somewhere down the road.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 02:04:43 AM »
Okay. I did some work on it tonight.  Here are parts that I added and/or modified:

"World view: Outdated. Most of what Kaumirran knew of the galaxy as whole came from her implanted memories. She only had a limited current knowledge base instilled within her from her time among the pirates. She needs time to acclimate to the modern galaxy.

Current outlook: Positive, but cautious. Kaumirran has found a sense of peace traveling amid the new inhabitants of galaxy. It is a strange feeling, and one that she feels may cause her to become lax. She has enemies, somewhere. She needs to keep moving if she hopes to stay ahead of coming storm."

And the Background:

"Afterward, much of the station's armory had been devastated during the conflict, as had the life support. Several of the main reactors had sustained damage well. While it could be repaired with enough time, the new owners chose to scuttle the factory station rather than risk that it fall to one of their rivals. Their intent was to not only rob the previous owners of their precious station, but to do significant damage to the surrounding vessels and the crew attempting to retake the Factory.

Unfortunately, their plan failed. While they were retreating, one of the squads belonging to the Kadogen group managed to reach the control station. From there, they were able to deactivate the self-destruct sequence with plenty of time to spare. The factory satellite was theirs once again, although the cost in time and money to bring it back to operational status would be great."

" After the first few months of confinement, the clones were allowed to roam more of the ship. It was not as if they could go anywhere else, and their inborn programming kept them obedient. It was then that Kaumirran learned just who her masters were. They were a band of pirates under the command of one Aearomi Shepard. The human woman was from a formerly affluent family. They had lost their fortunes some generations back. Kaumirran never heard the details, and she never cared enough to inquire on them. What she did learn was Aearomi had managed to acquire the barely-functional husk of an early-model Guantanamo-class carrier. Some crew said that she had found it in a junkyard, some say that she had purchased it with stolen goods, others said that she had traded personal favors for it. Whatever the means, the Astraiath -as it was so named- served as the headquarters, as well as the entirety of the fleet, of Lady Aearomi.

The vessel had sustained a good amount of damage in the battle over the Factory Satellite, as had the crew. The ship was left under-gunned and understaffed. That was, Kaumirran suspected, the main reason she and her sisters had been left out of the cargo hold: to make up for the loss of crew members. They were assigned tasks that would take some of the burden off of the pirates."

"Eventually, the crew happened a small mining settlement located on a moon with a dusty, barely-breathable atmosphere. It orbited a gas giant in an out-of-the-way system. The settlement was little more than a habitation dome with a few scattered buildings around it as well as a few depots for storing ore and equipment. The off-shoots were connected mainly by underground tunnels. The Astraiath set up a jamming field to prevent outgoing messages, then attacked. They bombarded the majority of the outlying buildings. Raiding parties with the Meltrandi at the front spearheaded the invasion. It was quick as far as such things went. The miners were wiped out by day’s end, leaving the remainder of the complex under Lady Aearomi’s control."

"That life came to an end when a scouting party hired by the Kadogen group stumbled across the system. There were rumors that one of the raiding parties had been followed. Rumors that were true. Many such parties had been tracking the Astraiath since the attack of the Factory Satellite. The Kadogen Faction made sure to let independent groups know that a reward was out for information on the location of Lady Aearomi’s people. Regardless of the reason, the moon came under frequent attack. The scouts had reported back their discovery. However as the mining had been set up system boarder the freshly opened New Territories, Kadogen could not risk an all-out invasion; such things would be noticed and retribution would come back at them. Instead, they sent multiple waves of small numbers to harass the pirates. If they could not eradicated them outright, they could whittle down their numbers over a long period of time."

"She was given more in-depth training in to the functions of the mecha. She was provided with a well-kept VF-11 for that purpose. She was taunt how they operated, and how they moved. It was old, but being in good condition, she was able to work out its functions. After a few false starts, she got the hang of piloting the human-sized war machines. She even grew to like the old thing.

Then she was moved to the front line where she was given a subpar machine to accomplish her task. She was expected to hold off invaders in a shakily held together mismatch of decommissioned valkyries that had been stripped down and reequipped for civilian mining purposes, and then restripped and re-reequipped with weapons that were better suited for ground vehicles. It did not go over so well. She lost one machine every other battle. They were simply not cut out for handling a properly designed war machine."

-------

There we go.  I added some names like you requested as well. Does that resolve most of your issues with her background?

Fun Fact: Aearomi Shepard's family has appeared in the majority of my writings from multiple genres over the years. They all go have an 'AEA' in their name and go by the title of Lady. There has been: Galaeanyss, Naeasyss, Xaean, Loraea, and now Aearomi.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 01:10:56 AM »
To simplify things, I'm going to add the changes in bold text to your PC's background.  Just copy and paste it back into your files.

Background: Kaumirran was grown in a Factory Satellite, one dedicated to creating clones to serve as a pawns in a proxy war from ages passed. She awoke within her nutrient tube amid a modern day conflict. The Cadogan Factory Satellite had been caught in a raid by human-Zentraadi pirates active in the New Territories. She and the newest batch of Meltrandi soldiers were roused by the automated systems to defend it from the invaders.

Kaumirran's first memories were of the heat. She had no way of knowing how long the battle had been raging. She opened her eyes to find the cloning assembly line aflame. The fire was so close that it was heating the fluid within her vat. Other tubes were shattered, their contents dumped to the grated floor. Bodies of her sisters had been holed by arms fire, both intentionally and not. Some had died when their cloning tubes had ruptured, some still within, others slumped over the broken glass.

Muted chimes signaled the release of the nutrient fluid from Kaumirran's vat. She and a few others from the current batch managed to free themselves before they too had become casualties. The raiders had managed to secure the station's command center during the conflict. Due to the default nature of their programming, the newly awakened clones mistakenly took them to be the rightful owners. They were commanded to destroy the Cadogan defence force, and did so without question. Unarmed, many died during the ensuing few hours.

Afterwards, much of the station's armoury had been devastated during the conflict, as had the life support systems. Several of the main reactors had sustained damage well. While it could be repaired with enough time, the raiders chose to scuttle the Factory Station rather than let the Cadogan forces quickly restart clone production.  Their intent was to not only rob Cadogan of their precious station, but to do significant damage to the surrounding vessels and the crew attempting to retake the Factory.

Unfortunately, their plan failed. While they were retreating, one of the Cadogan defesive squads managed to reach the control center. From there, they were able to deactivate the self-destruct sequence with plenty of time to spare. The Factory Satellite was theirs once again, although the cost in time and resources to bring it back to operational status would be great.

Kaumirran and her surviving sisters, of which there were forty-three, fell in line for new orders. There remained only enough intact gear to supply thirty-one of the giantesses. The other twelve, including Kaumirran, were ordered in to previously pilfered micronization chambers to be shrunk to human size. When the task was complete, they were led to the raiders' ship -  a barely-functional husk of an early-model Guantanamo-class carrier. All of the Meltrandi, both full and micronized, were packed into a single cargo bay. In the beginning, the micronized ones were released only when needed, which happened with increasing frequency the more their masters dove in and out of the Zentraadi Control Zone and Sector M45-3 in the search of profit, supplies, and war materials.

After the first few months of confinement, the micronized clones were allowed to roam more of the ship. It was not as if they could go anywhere else, and their inborn programming kept them obedient. It was then that Kaumirran learned just who her masters were.

They were a band of pirates under the command of one Aearomi Shepard. The human woman was from a formerly affluent family. They had made and lost their fortunes a generation back.

Kaumirran never heard the details, and she never cared enough to inquire on them. What she did learn was Aearomi had managed to acquire the barely-functional husk of an early-model Guantanamo-class carrier. Some crew said that she had found it in a junkyard, some say that she had purchased it with stolen goods, others said that she had traded personal favors for it. Whatever the means, the Astraiath -as it was so named- served as the headquarters, as well as the entirety of the fleet, of Lady Aearomi.

The vessel had sustained a good amount of damage in the battle over the Factory Satellite, as had the crew. The ship was left under-gunned and understaffed. That was, Kaumirran suspected, the main reason she and her sisters had been let out of the cargo hold: to make up for the loss of crew members. They were assigned tasks that would take some of the burden off of the pirates.

As far as duties went, the giants served as the front line assault force from then on, drawing away the enemy as the rest of the crew raided supply lines. The micronized women were kept aboard ship to handle other duties. Some were taught to be administrators, carrying paperwork and handling organizing files. Some were sent to aid the kitchen staff in preparation of meals that went to non-cloned crew. One was taken to aid the medical staff. Kaumirran was taken along with one other sister to help out in the mechanical bay. She was taught to repair the damaged machines while her sister learned about the vessel that served as their home. All of the women were made to entertain the crew during non-combative hours.

Eventually, the crew happened upon a small mining settlement located on a moon with a dusty, barely-breathable atmosphere. It orbited a gas giant in an out-of-the-way system. The settlement was little more than a habitation dome with a few scattered buildings around it as well as a few depots for storing ore and equipment. The off-shoots were connected mainly by underground tunnels. The Astraiath set up a jamming field to prevent outgoing messages, then attacked. They bombarded the majority of the outlying buildings. Raiding parties with the Meltrandi at the front spearheaded the invasion. It was quick as far as such things went. The miners were wiped out by day’s end, leaving the remainder of the complex under Lady Aearomi’s control.

The system was rarely travelled, so the moon made a convenient base of operations. Kaumirran lived there for the next two years. Her day-to-day life generally consisted of the same routine as when she had been aboard the ship: she would awaken, preform her standard exercises, and then proceed to the area designated as the settlement's repair bay. She would work to patch and rearm the mecha and other equipment used for outbound raids, and then when night fell -which was frequent as the moon had a fifteen hour orbital period- she would leave to carry out her role as an entertainer. Some days there were no repairs to be done. On those days Kaumirran was often reassigned to help in a clerical fashion. It did not hold her attention as effectively as the war machines did.

That life came to an end when a scouting party hired by the Cadogan Faction stumbled across the system. There were rumors that one of the raiding parties had been followed. Rumors that were true. Many such parties had been tracking the Astraiath since the attack on the Factory Satellite. The Cadogan Faction made sure to let independent groups know that a reward was out for information on the location of Lady Aearomi’s people.

Regardless of the reason, the moon came under frequent attack. The scouts had reported back their discovery. However as the mining had been set up in a system boardering the freshly opened New Territories, the Cadogan Faction could not risk an all-out invasion; such things would be noticed and retribution would come back at them. Instead, they sent multiple waves of small numbers to harass the pirates. If they could not eradicated them outright, they could whittle down their numbers over a long period of time.

While the Meltrandi were efficient warriors and fought bravely, they were far from invincible. Their number dipped after nearly half a year of conflicts. Many of the full-sized women had perished. The micronized women were re-tasked to combat roles. Some were given hand weapons and made to guard the tight hallways and confined spaces. A couple were given to the meagre power armour division to serve as medium-range defenders. Kaumirran was most familiar with the Variable Fighters after having spent much of her time with her hands in their innards. She was assigned to the long-range, or orbital defence, division. She was given more in-depth training in to the functions of the Valkyries. She was provided with a well-kept VF-11 for that purpose. She was taunt how they operated, and how they moved. It was old, but being in good condition, she was able to work out its functions. After a few false starts, she got the hang of piloting the human-sized war machines. She even grew to like the old thing.

Then she was moved to the front line where she was given a sub-par VF-1X to accomplish her task. She was expected to hold off invaders in a shakily held together mismatch of decommissioned Valkyries that had been stripped down and reequipped for civilian mining purposes, and then re-stripped and re-reequipped with weapons that were better suited for ground vehicles. It did not go over so well. She was shot down every other battle. Her VF-1 was simply not cut out for handling properly designed war machines.

Like before, it was the cloned warriors that were used ahead of the natural-born people when it came to violence. And like before, they were the ones that suffered the majority of the injuries. Kaumirran had spent enough time around those people that she had developed a sense of self. The idea had occurred to her that those who had taken her from the cloning facility were her masters only because had allowed them to be so. She understood that she and her sisters were people, too. Knowing how they had been used to further the agenda of these others and then sent to die for them caused resentment to grow with her in. She tried to push it down, tried to ignore and carry on with her life but it was always there, seething silently in the background.

One night the conversation among the girls turned to that after one Kaumirran's sisters broached the topic. She was not the only one who had taken notice of the place within the ranks. Together they devised a means of escape. Those who had served as administrators set up a comm bouy to broadcast their location. The Meltrandi who had worked as supply girls stole goods to aid them. Meanwhile, Kaumirran and those that were well-versed in the human-style machines readied Fold Drive equipped transportation. When the next assault came, the girls did not aid their masters. Instead, they ran. They kept to the moon's surface until they could put enough of it between themselves and the battling forces to make for space. In orbit, they broke in to multiple groups. Each headed off in a different direction.

Kaumirran had heard that her former masters had not been wiped out in the chaos. They were still out there.  The Meltrandi's betrayal had not gone unnoticed for long. She lost contact with her sisters somewhere along the way; they had all vanished in an attempt to prevent capture. No one wanted to end up back in the hands they had bitten.

Kaumirran wondered from world to world in the ensuing year. She did whatever she needed to in order to survive. That mostly meant manual labor jobs for backwater businesses, though she picked up other kinds of work from time to time. She eventually made her way to Caesar in an attempt to eek out a better life.

Some random observations:

Zentraadi & Money
Although some Zentraadi in the control zone are fully humanized and are motivated entirely for money.  The majority prefer the old ways (or haven't evolved/learned new ways).  When it comes to Factory Satellites, its more a problem of finding materials to restore them, than it is a monetary problem.

Family Generations
It's only been a generation or two since mankind was essentially killed off, and mass cloning was used to bring it back.  Although there are a few families that survived, if they were affluent before the destruction of the Earth, all of their assets were either destroyed or wiped out in the devastation and ensuing reconstruction.  So, any affluent families should be considered 'new money'.

Her Sub-par VF-1X
Was considering it to be a VF-11, but based on your description, and especially because of the official setting depiction of the VF-1 being used in non-combat roles, it fits.
Also, as VFs are generally both expensive and robust, it makes much better sense to have her being continually shot down, and heading out in the same vehicle, rather than losing a VF and getting a new one each time (the pirates would've stopped giving her VFs after the first or second loss).  I can also envision her grumbling "not that death trap again!" each time she prepares to leave for battle.  :lol:

Fold Drive Equipped Transports
Technically, Fold Drives are even more rare and expensive than VFs.  But I'll just roll with this one (maybe the original inhabitants had a whole bunch lying around, or Aearomi Shepard is a collector of them or something).

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 01:27:17 AM »
Extended Background Details

Age to Weight: all OK

Description:  any particular clothes or fashion style she wears?

Birthplace World ~ World view: OK

Current outlook: Positive, but cautious. Kaumirran has found a sense of peace travelling amid the new settlements in the New Territories and Sectors M45-3 and 4*. It is a strange feeling, and one that she feels may cause her to become lax. She has enemies, somewhere. She needs to keep moving if she hopes to stay ahead of coming storm.

* Change in bold.  I'm limiting her travels for 2 reasons: when we were developing the region, we felt that having it 'cut off' from the greater galaxy would make it dramatically more interesting (why fight now when you can just wait a few days for NUNS reinforcements from Earth?) [so travel within it can be considered inexpensive and common while travel to outside the sector is expensive and rare], and if she moved beyond the area, she definitely wouldn't want to come back to it (high risk of meeting her former 'employer').

Belief System ~ Biggest Secret: ok

Closest Ally or Friend: interesting and well thought out.

Worst Enemy or Rival: Aearomi Shepard and her pirate group
* changes in bold

Reason For Joining: OK

Short Term Goal: need something that answers: What does your character hope to achieve in the next 6 months?

Long Term Goal: To Belong - kind of vague.  try and answer: What does your character hope to achieve (or where do they hope to be) in 5 years?

Childhood: you were abducted from your family at birth.
* changes in bold

Life Events: kind of too vague.  If you want, you can roll on the random tables here (at the bottom) http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/character/GCGS/GCGSextbacrandrol.php , or pick the ones that work for you.  In short, for each year of her life over 16 (well, 0 to 4), what major social/family/work event happened in her life.

Checklist:
Step #2: Background - editing; Other Background - pending
Step #3: pending
Step #4: progress unknown

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 01:56:13 AM »
Zentraadi & Money 

I agree.  Since I did not know who was the chief operator of the group in the system the factory was located in, I wrote as a civilized people.  It was a fifty/fifty shot.

Family Generations

The information largely came from the scuttlebutt that Kaumirran heard around the ship. It wasn't meant to represent exact histories, you see.  Still, who is to say that Aearomi's family was on Earth at the time of the culling? They could have been moonies. *shrug* Or maybe your grandparents both created and lost the fortune in the matter of a single year and she still hung up on what could have been.

Her Sub-par VF-1X

I was picturing it as if the VF-11 was the good model that she learned in. Repurposed civilian models was what she fought in, like a VC or a VT. They had been taken from the miners, after all.

I'd debate that a VF-X was subpar to an 11. Those were VF-1s that refit with late 2040's tech. Although I guess that it would subpar compared to VF-25 or a VF-1EX. I doubt that the pirates had anything that good, though. I assumed an 11 was the best that they had, with maybe three or four mecha of a higher caliber for what passed as officers, and one pretty good, customized model for the Lady, herself.

Fold Drive Equipped Transports

Shhhh.  Don't question it.  ;)

Childhood: you were abducted from your family at birth.

I went with:
Childhood: Abducted From Her Home Upon Awakening

Seems a bit more accurate, don't you think?

Life Events: kind of too vague.  If you want, you can roll on the random tables here (at the bottom)   In short, for each year of her life over 16 (well, 0 to 4), what major social/family/work event happened in her life.

That was vague for two reasons, my friend:

1) I only updated the background because I had been awake for nearly thirty hours at the time.

2) She's only four, and was essentially a slave 3 of those years. The entirety of her life events was already included in the Background. The Life Events section was just a very brief summation of what you'd find there.

However, I updated it to provide more detail with:

Life Events: Awoke amid a battle for her cloning facility. Abducted along with her sisters by the pirate raiding party and was among the few that were put in to a micronization chamber for easier transport. Enslaved (although she was unaware of the concept of it at the time), she was forced to aid her captors in maintaining their war machines, and later to do battle on their behalf. Kaumirran  became self-aware over time, and eventually assisted in a plot to destroy the pirates. The plot failed, but she was able to make her escape during the ensuing chaos.

Does that suffice? I mean, I could use the roll chart, but I am not sure how many results would fit well with her lore.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:10:39 AM by InfernosCaress »

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 02:21:19 AM »
I am a nuts and bolts kinda guy. I love to breath life in to my characters.  Granted, I am usually pretty bad at doing the Background section, but this one seems to be flowing rather nicely. She ended up with an excellent Education roll. After the horrible background roll and blah attributes that preceded it, I was surprised. There was finally SOMETHING that she did not suck at. Doing her base skills inspired some story growth. So that was nice.

That's good (it simplifies the explanations when it comes to game mechanics.  However, it appears that you've going the full-blown extreme, and neglected to keep in mind that the game is using the simplified instructions as per here:
http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive/forums/index.php?topic=2926.0 , which links to here: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/character/GCGS/GCGSmain.php .  Changes outlined below.

I do have some questions about Secondary Skills.

Wrestling/Judo says that it is an upgrade to Hand to Hand: Expert. It is not in the Secondary List, though. Could I spend a Secondary Skill to upgrade my Expert to Wrestling/Judo?

Yes.  It costs 2 skills.

Why can you learn Martial Arts as a Secondary but not Aerobics?

Ask Palladium Books.

Can a Secondary Skill be used to add additional Mecha Combat options to pilots since we don't have an OCC Related section?

Yes.

Not a question but Geology, Math, and Physics are listed twice.

Fixed.

But I was awaiting an answer to Secondary Skills questions up there so that I could get them all down before I added in all percentages. 50% Focused and 30% Unfocused Base before bonuses, I believe they were.

There are no bonuses other than those indicated for the Base Skills as per here: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/character/GCGS/GCGSmain.php#Step5
This is out of fairness to the other players, and to reduce the creation workload.  Please remove from your posted character sheet, as the GM will be doing the skill calculations and bonuses.

I wasn't sure if Tai Chi counted as Combat or Non-Combat, so I chose the latter.

It's a combat skill.

I also was not sure if Pilot Power Armour was one or two skills in that one came from VF Piloting and the other from Zentraedi and applied to different races' equipment. I set them as two separate skills for the time being.

I'll address that when Steps #2 to 4 are complete.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 02:35:05 AM »
I know.  I was switching nouns to prevent over-repetition. Literary styling.

Literary styling is fine when switching between proper noun, descriptive noun, and pronouns that describe the same thing.  The problem I had with it was that it was switching between different things.  [Yes, I'm an English teacher here in Japan. ;) ]

I was imagining a deep-space Factory, one that had gotten lost over the years.

That's alright.  The problem is that it clashes with the official setting of Macross - where Factory Satellites are high-value assets, and they are something that the Zentraadi armed forces just don't lose.  Nevertheless, no harm, no foul.

Wouldn't a rogue group BE a faction, even if not a large one?  And I honestly don't which group attacked it. I wasn't here while all of the previous games were being played. I don't know who is who, and who hates who, and who is buds with who. I left it intentionally vague so as to not screw with your setting. If you have a suggestion for a ruthless bunch of jerks, I'd be happy to use them.  :)

The problem stemmed from both of us using vague terms to describe the groups from the outset.  Nevertheless, it appears to be resolved.

We discussed that the group she would eventually end up with (the PC group) was in the New Territories. Cadogen, according to the map, is well inside of the Zentraedi Control Zone. The group that took her would not have found the Factory Satellite by accident from outside of it. They had to be operating, at least partially, within the ZCZ.

Yes, they wouldn't have found it by accident ;) .  The setting implies that they somehow got information on both its location, and when its escorting fleet would be distracted and operating elsewhere - perhaps timing their raid to coincide with a larger battle elsewhere in the sector by a greater, that called away part of the Factory Satellite's escort fleet?

A note on FTL travel in Macross: the Fold Drive allows for travellers to basically pop up anywhere in space [the overall conclusion that we've arrived at is that it is a straight line from point A to point B, and it cannot pass through a major gravity well, such as a star.  Then Macross F happened, and added the concept of Fold Faults.  Put that's another discussion).

So, the effect is that although borders can be monitored and watched for travellers at sub-light speeds, a traveller could Defold almost anywhere.  Which leads us back to the pirate group having to had already known where the Factory Satellite was, as stumbling across it would be a million times more difficult than finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Hm. I should have been more specific on the part about taking the settlement. I was picturing it as quite small, maybe one main building and a couple of off-shoots to house supplies and equipment. I did not intend for the original occupants to have survived the commandeering.

Thanks for clearing this (and the VF thing) up.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 02:46:44 AM »
Family Generations

The information largely came from the scuttlebutt that Kaumirran heard around the ship. It wasn't meant to represent exact histories, you see.  Still, who is to say that Aearomi's family was on Earth at the time of the culling? They could have been moonies. *shrug* Or maybe your grandparents both created and lost the fortune in the matter of a single year and she still hung up on what could have been.

Ahh.... I see.

Her Sub-par VF-1X

I was picturing it as if the VF-11 was the good model that she learned in. Repurposed civilian models was what she fought in, like a VC or a VT. They had been taken from the miners, after all.

I'd debate that a VF-X was subpar to an 11. Those were VF-1s that refit with late 2040's tech. Although I guess that it would subpar compared to VF-25 or a VF-1EX. I doubt that the pirates had anything that good, though. I assumed an 11 was the best that they had, with maybe three or four mecha of a higher caliber for what passed as officers, and one pretty good, customized model for the Lady, herself.

Given the era it takes place in, she'd be more likely to have had access to the VF-171, and the VF-11 would be exceedingly rare.  Official setting information makes the VF-1 much more common than most of us perceive.

Nevertheless, the 2040's upgrade is the VF-1X+.  The VF-1X upgrade took place in the 20's and 30's.  There's also a VF-1X++ upgrade, and Macross The Ride indicates that that model is freshly produced in the late 2050's.  And now we have Macross Delta with the VF-1EX version in the 2060's!

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics.php#Variable_Fighters

I went with:
Childhood: Abducted From Her Home Upon Awakening

Seems a bit more accurate, don't you think?

That works just as well, if not better.

Life Events: kind of too vague.  If you want, you can roll on the random tables here (at the bottom)   In short, for each year of her life over 16 (well, 0 to 4), what major social/family/work event happened in her life.

That was vague for two reasons, my friend:

1) I only updated the background because I had been awake for nearly thirty hours at the time.

2) She's only four, and was essentially a slave 3 of those years. The entirety of her life events was already included in the Background. The Life Events section was just a very brief summation of what you'd find there.

However, I updated it to provide more detail with:

Well, the intent of that section is to be a brief summary of the background and/or additional nuggets of RPing opportunities related to family/love/friends that may or may not have appeared in the background.

In your PC's case, I was thinking along the lines of: did she get a lover among the pirates?  Did she develop a rival among her sister/the pirates?  Stuff like that.

If you're satisfied with that and the other changes, then indicate so, and we'll lock down the background, and start wholeheartedly on the game mechanics.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 02:58:01 AM »
Add these changes (in bold) to the PC sheet:

Derived Attributes (based on attributes)
   Luck = 15
   Base Loyalty = 65%
   Affected By Disease/Resistance to Disease = 60%

Derived Attribute-like Skills (based on attributes, but can be improve over time just like skills)
   Charm/Impress/Seduction = 15%
   Get Noticed = 65%
   Perception = 48%
Sense of Balance 19%
   Trust/Intimidate/Leadership = 15%

HP & HP - there doesn't appear to be a record of the die rolls for them... or did I miss something?

Checklist:
Step #2: Background - complete; Other Background - pending player approval
Step #3: complete
Step #4: pending

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »

That's good (it simplifies the explanations when it comes to game mechanics.  However, it appears that you've going the full-blown extreme, and neglected to keep in mind that the game is using the simplified instructions as per here

I am sorry, but I don't understand. That is the page that I used, and the links that it provided. Which part did I do wrong?

Yes.  It costs 2 skills.

Meh.  Too expensive for a one-level upgrade. I used the points for a new Mecha Combat and a new Language skill, instead. Never hurts to have an extra noncombat.

Ask Palladium Books.

I have seen their explanations for things.  I don't think that they know why they do things.

But I was awaiting an answer to Secondary Skills questions up there so that I could get them all down before I added in all percentages. 50% Focused and 30% Unfocused Base before bonuses, I believe they were.

I meant 'base' as in 'default' and not the section of the same name. That was my mistake. Poor choice of terminology. I was actually referring to the Bonus from the Education System to the MOS and Schooling. But that doesn't matter. I deleted all of the Skill Percentages as you requested, and re-added the multiplier number for Repeated Skills.

[Yes, I'm an English teacher here in Japan. ;) ]

Weeeeell, I'm Texan and we don't talk no English.  :P

The problem is that it clashes with the official setting of Macross - where Factory Satellites are high-value assets, and they are something that the Zentraadi armed forces just don't lose.   

Very true.  There is always the possibility that command structure within that fleet had been destroyed in the war, or by a Protodevilun or something. That would leave a station floating around out in the void. It doesn't matter, though. First Drafts are meant for changes.

The setting implies that they somehow got information on both its location, and when its escorting fleet would be distracted and operating elsewhere - perhaps timing their raid to coincide with a larger battle elsewhere in the sector by a greater, that called away part of the Factory Satellite's escort fleet?

Quite possibly. They could have potentially bought the information from someone else who knew where the factory was.

Maybe the pirates lured the defending fleet away with a false signal buoy. If they used that tactic on a regular basis against different enemy strongholds, it would certainly explain why the single carrier that the pirate possessed had not been destroyed early on, as well as how the Meltrandi girls knew how to set up a similar trap to aid in their escape.

A note on FTL travel in Macross: the Fold Drive allows for travellers to basically pop up anywhere in space [the overall conclusion that we've arrived at is that it is a straight line from point A to point B, and it cannot pass through a major gravity well, such as a star.  Then Macross F happened, and added the concept of Fold Faults.  Put that's another discussion).

Man, Fold Travel is a whole can of worms all on its own.

In SDF we see it as both moving an energy streak, and as teleporting. In M7, it's a teleport, and we see Max fold his VF-22 to the surface of a planet just fine, while in the mini-film we see Basara crash trying to do the same thing.  In Dynamite we see the streak move in a curved line. Frontier uses portals that separate souls from their bodies ((maybe? Could have been a lingering version of the momentary distortion effect from SDF and M7))

Given the era it takes place in, she'd be more likely to have had access to the VF-171, and the VF-11 would be exceedingly rare.   

Yeah, I had considered that. I was working out a plausible reason to have the 11 as a starting Mecha Combat skill. 

And in truth, I really hate the 171. It is just SO hideous that it pains me to look at it. I think that was intentional. It's an intimidation tactic: if the enemy wants to fight, then they are going to be forced to have to see the 171.

Life Events: kind of too vague.

Still? I had expanded it to a full paragraph.

In your PC's case, I was thinking along the lines of: did she get a lover among the pirates?

A group of unscrupulous pirates with a small collection of women that do whatever they are told because they don't know any better.... That makes the whole 'entertain the crew during their off hours' thing more cringe-worthy. I would rather not think about it, to be honest.

Did she develop a rival among her sister/the pirates?   

Mmmmm... I would say probably not. It took a while for her to become self-aware as an individual rather than one weapon of an armed force. By that time, she didn't like any of the pirates. I doubt that she dislikes any one of them more than any of the others, save for Aearomi due to being the head of group and she is already listed as an enemy.

If you're satisfied with that and the other changes, then indicate so, and we'll lock down the background, and start wholeheartedly on the game mechanics.

Sounds good.

Sense of Balance 19% 

I saw that formula when I was doing percentages. I thought that it was a typo, missing a multiplier. Otherwise all of those gymnasts walking across a balance beam without falling off would have an ungodly PP score.

HP & HP - there doesn't appear to be a record of the die rolls for them... or did I miss something?

I didn't know that you wanted me to write down the actual roll, so I just put the result.  But you are welcome to reroll them if you so desire.

Also, I hope that I don't come off as being an ass during these discussions. Because I don't intend to be argumentative.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 02:24:54 AM »
I am sorry, but I don't understand. That is the page that I used, and the links that it provided. Which part did I do wrong?

Well, it's a combination of poorly worded instructions in the PBP Character Creation page on my part (it's still a work in progress), and your not waiting for GM input on what to do at that stage of PC creation.  (BTW: this game is using a modified version of the Uber Simple Creation rules).

Anyhow, I don't mind your having used an alternative set of Base Skills, or getting 1 more Skill Program than everyone else.  However, it appears that you've got more than the indicated 8 Secondary Skills, and had applied the Education Table Skill bonus (but in deleting that, it appears that you've also deleted the bonuses from the Base Skills).

I meant 'base' as in 'default' and not the section of the same name. That was my mistake. Poor choice of terminology. I was actually referring to the Bonus from the Education System to the MOS and Schooling. But that doesn't matter. I deleted all of the Skill Percentages as you requested, and re-added the multiplier number for Repeated Skills.

Yes, be careful with terminology.  There are limits to the flexibility of language when typed down (all tone and body language ques are gone) and read back by someone who doesn't necessarily speak the same variety of English.

Weeeeell, I'm Texan and we don't talk no English.  :P

Nah.  I'd like to say its the lack of proofreading, but it appears to be coming from a lack of sleep.

I also regularly watch "Fast N' Loud" and "Misfit Garage" on Discovery, and understand pretty much everything they're saying.  So, I knows youse Texans guys speak good English. ;)

(and I know that my English is failing, despite being an English teacher.  Me brain's gotten muddled with Japanese grammar).

Quite possibly. They could have potentially bought the information from someone else who knew where the factory was.

Maybe the pirates lured the defending fleet away with a false signal buoy. If they used that tactic on a regular basis against different enemy strongholds, it would certainly explain why the single carrier that the pirate possessed had not been destroyed early on, as well as how the Meltrandi girls knew how to set up a similar trap to aid in their escape.

That's very plausible.

Man, Fold Travel is a whole can of worms all on its own.  In SDF we see it as both moving an energy streak, and as teleporting. In M7, it's a teleport, and we see Max fold his VF-22 to the surface of a planet just fine, while in the mini-film we see Basara crash trying to do the same thing.  In Dynamite we see the streak move in a curved line. Frontier uses portals that separate souls from their bodies ((maybe? Could have been a lingering version of the momentary distortion effect from SDF and M7))

Dramatic anime depictions aside, the description in Macross Chronicle and other text sources is that the space fold opens a portal into the Super Dimension.  The ship/vehicle travels in the Super Dimension, and emerges back into real space at the other end via a second space fold.  So, it's both correct to the scientific description of space folds, and incorrect.

I believe the ethereal and physical body separation in MF is just a further refinement or extrapolation of that distortion effect in SDF and M+.

One thing to keep in mind about Macross (and it drives pretty much all English speaking Macross fans nuts) is that Kawamori-san has stated that each Macross series is true only onto itself, and that each incarnation is actually an in-universe dramatization of actual historical events.  That way of thinking is definitely creatively liberating, but it makes it extremely difficult to get it all to fit together.

Yeah, I had considered that. I was working out a plausible reason to have the 11 as a starting Mecha Combat skill.

And in truth, I really hate the 171. It is just SO hideous that it pains me to look at it. I think that was intentional. It's an intimidation tactic: if the enemy wants to fight, then they are going to be forced to have to see the 171.

Really?  I found the VF-171 to be the best looking of all the new VFs introduced in MF and its movies (except the VF-171EX - which strains credibility with the way it mounts its external weapon pods).  Game-wise, it has got the largest armaments payload, too.

We're going to be seeing a lot of the VF-171 in the game - it's still the Unified Government's main fighter, and the most available VF sold off as surplus by the armed forces.  Just keep in mind that if and when it becomes available for the players to use in the game, you don't have to use it [and there's plenty of precedent for that in Macross - Maria Fokina Barnrose in VF-X2 still uses the VF-1, despite the availability of the VF-17, VF-19 and so on.

In your PC's case, I was thinking along the lines of: did she get a lover among the pirates?

A group of unscrupulous pirates with a small collection of women that do whatever they are told because they don't know any better.... That makes the whole 'entertain the crew during their off hours' thing more cringe-worthy. I would rather not think about it, to be honest.

True, but there are cases of women in similar situations developing a relationship with a leader or superior officer in the occupying forces to protect herself from the abuse of the lower ranking.  Here's an excerpt from an article that has stuck with me on just this subject:

Eventually the diarist realises that she needs to find one "wolf" to stave off gang rape by the "male beasts". The relationship between aggressor and victim becomes less violent, more transactional - and more ambiguous. She shares her bed with a senior officer from Leningrad with whom she discusses literature and the meaning of life.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32529679 (fascinating article in a horrific kind of way.  It is one of the few of them that fully deserves the warning they have at the top).

Did she develop a rival among her sister/the pirates?   

Mmmmm... I would say probably not. It took a while for her to become self-aware as an individual rather than one weapon of an armed force. By that time, she didn't like any of the pirates. I doubt that she dislikes any one of them more than any of the others, save for Aearomi due to being the head of group and she is already listed as an enemy.

Wouldn't she hate the men more than the leader (a 'her') for the things they did to her?  Perhaps there's someone like Bogs Diamond in the Shawshank Redemption - the leader of the most vile sub-group in that pirate organization, who has become the focus of a particularly strong wrath?

If you're not comfortable with dabbling too deeply in this aspect of the character, you don't have to.  But it does provide a good opportunity for at least two colourful villains in her past that she could encounter again in the future.

Sense of Balance 19% 

I saw that formula when I was doing percentages. I thought that it was a typo, missing a multiplier. Otherwise all of those gymnasts walking across a balance beam without falling off would have an ungodly PP score.

Just keep in mind that skill checks are 1D20 + skill + attribute.  Sense Of Balance is also a skill that grows with experience.

I didn't know that you wanted me to write down the actual roll, so I just put the result.  But you are welcome to reroll them if you so desire.

No worries.  But from now, a record is preferred (see the links near the beginning of the topic for some on-line rollers).

Also, I hope that I don't come off as being an ass during these discussions. Because I don't intend to be argumentative.

It's a learning process for both of us.  I'll just say that the lion's share of character creation is complete (the background & extended background), and it's all downhill from here.

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 03:58:18 AM »

Anyhow, I don't mind your having used an alternative set of Base Skills, or getting 1 more Skill Program than everyone else.   

I haven't used her yet. I can scrap that section and redo it without any hard feelings.

Alternatively, we could give everyone an extra Skill Program.

I'll go either way that you wish. I don't want to be unfair.

I could drop the Zentraedi MOS, and replace the VF Mechanic with the the regular Mechanical Skill Program. Weaker, but it is in the same vein, and fits just as well with her Background. I could use the Secondary Skills to try to make up the difference, which would be the various Electrical and Power Armour Skills.

However, it appears that you've got more than the indicated 8 Secondary Skills

Oooh.  That was from the 'Had To Work To Live' background. It gave More Secondary Skills, and Lowered the Education Percentage. I think with the penalty, she lost out on on a higher education tier.

There was a +15% for her Base Skills, in addition to the percentages per individual skill. I put it back in.

But again: I can scrap the skills can go with Uber-Simple type.

es, be careful with terminology.  There are limits to the flexibility of language when typed down (all tone and body language ques are gone) and read back by someone who doesn't necessarily speak the same variety of English.

Agreed.

Nah.  I'd like to say its the lack of proofreading, but it appears to be coming from a lack of sleep.

No, it's probably the proofreading. As much as I love to read, I read at the same speed that I talk. So when proofreading requires half an hour, I "accidentally" forget to do it.

I also regularly watch "Fast N' Loud" and "Misfit Garage" on Discovery, and understand pretty much everything they're saying.  So, I knows youse Texans guys speak good English. ;)

Pish.  So does my step-father. Those guys are about half an hour from where I live, too. But if you want a clearer picture, listen to Matthew McConaughey interviews.  That's more like the everyday speech we have going on here.

(and I know that my English is failing, despite being an English teacher.  Me brain's gotten muddled with Japanese grammar).

Oh, Puh~lease! Japanese consists mainly of two words: 'chibi' and 'hentai'. How straining could it be?

So, it's both correct to the scientific description of space folds, and incorrect.

Yes.  I have seen 'Event Horizon'. I understand how space-folding works.  And why you should never do it.

I believe the ethereal and physical body separation in MF is just a further refinement or extrapolation of that distortion effect in SDF and M+.

What happens if you are poking someone's ethereal self when you Defold? Do you reemerge with your finger stuck in their bicep?

That way of thinking is definitely creatively liberating, but it makes it extremely difficult to get it all to fit together.

Yeah. It's annoying. Understandable why he would do it, but I would like to know the true story.

Really?  I found the VF-171 to be the best looking of all the new VFs introduced in MF and its movies (except the VF-171EX - which strains credibility with the way it mounts its external weapon pods). 

Really. I absolutely hate it.  My favorite from Frontier was, well, it was attacking someone with a kilometer tall Ranka Lee hologram, but as far as Valkyries went, it was the VF-27. The demonic look, the tuning fork cannon, the afterimage movement... It is really in my top three favorites from the whole franchise (the other two being the YF-30 and VF-11 MAXL)

We're going to be seeing a lot of the VF-171 in the game - it's still the Unified Government's main fighter, and the most available VF sold off as surplus by the armed forces.  Just keep in mind that if and when it becomes available for the players to use in the game, you don't have to use it 

I figured that they would be around a lot. I'll happily take an outdated model over the higher-power 171.

True, but there are cases of women in similar situations developing a relationship with a leader or superior officer in the occupying forces to protect herself from the abuse of the lower ranking.   

You make a good point.  And, frankly, when you put it that way, I even lean toward it.  Disgusting to pimp my baby out, but it does sound better than the alternative. I will consider it.

Wouldn't she hate the men more than the leader (a 'her') for the things they did to her?   

You are assuming the 'her' was innocent. There is a certain degree of dominance in controlling strong subordinates, especially ones with an ingrained aversion to such things. Dang it, man!  Now you got me thinking about.

It's a learning process for both of us.  I'll just say that the lion's share of character creation is complete (the background & extended background), and it's all downhill from here.

Aww, it's always downhill when I'm involved!

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 05:17:48 AM »
2nd daughter wants to play outside, again.  Gotta make this quick...

I haven't used her yet. I can scrap that section and redo it without any hard feelings.

Alternatively, we could give everyone an extra Skill Program.

I'll go either way that you wish. I don't want to be unfair.

I could drop the Zentraedi MOS, and replace the VF Mechanic with the the regular Mechanical Skill Program. Weaker, but it is in the same vein, and fits just as well with her Background. I could use the Secondary Skills to try to make up the difference, which would be the various Electrical and Power Armour Skills.

The number of Skill Programs and Military MOS are OK as-is.

However, the skills (and blame falls on me and the lack of in-depth checking by other players in the past):

Power Armour Specialist skills should be (for non-humanized Zentraadi):
Mecha Combat: Nuujaderu-Gaa or Quadoran-Roh
Mecha Combat: Choose 1
Read Sensory Instruments
Weapon Systems
WP Knife

Pilot: Variable Fighter MOS
The YF-30 is just to rare a fighter - it's something built only for testing purposes.  However, the VF-31 is much more available (but still rare).  Please change to the VF-31.

EDIT
that said, there's nothing in the background to explain how she would have gotten this training (especially given the limited release of the VF-31.  I think a VF-19 (as in the 19EF model) would be the most applicable alternative.  The VF-171 (but for personal reasons it's rejected) and the VF-25 are possible alternatives.

One thing to keep in mind in my games is that a) it is extremely easy to pick-up a new skill.  And b) if you don't have the right skill (ie: Mecha Combat: VF-31) the next closest skill will be used at a higher difficulty level (so an easy task in say a VF-19 would be rolled as a moderate task when she gets in a VF-31).  Pretty much as soon as she's piloted it, she'll get the skill at either the base percent (that'd be 50% for a combat focused character) or the value of the next closest skill at the higher difficulty level - whichever is higher.
END EDIT.

Oooh.  That was from the 'Had To Work To Live' background. It gave More Secondary Skills, and Lowered the Education Percentage. I think with the penalty, she lost out on on a higher education tier.

There was a +15% for her Base Skills, in addition to the percentages per individual skill. I put it back in.

But again: I can scrap the skills can go with Uber-Simple type.

Just leave that part as-is.  I'll be able to do the calculations based on the info you've given me.

EDIT
Speaking of the limited number of Secondary Skills.  Also be aware that you have the option to pick-up one additional skill per year of experience.  So, as you've got 11 (?) skills, you may want to move the surplus 3 skills to the Additional Skills section.  Just take care which ones you move - as the initial skills will be getting a slight skill % increase from experience.  But we'll cross that bridge when we get there (Background is still pending some revisions...)
END EDIT.

Pish.  So does my step-father. Those guys are about half an hour from where I live, too. But if you want a clearer picture, listen to Matthew McConaughey interviews.  That's more like the everyday speech we have going on here.

Cool.  And I bet it's weird watching what amounts to your neighbourhood on TV.

It's like that for me when I see parts of Victoria (rare) or Vancouver in a movie or TV show - and it's even more bizarre, as the film claims that the story is taking place somewhere else!  The various Stargate TV series were the best at it (filming mostly in the wilderness), and the worst mind bomb came from that Arnold movie about cloning - using the main branch of the Vancouver Public Library as the headquarters of the bad guy organization!  Nutty!

Oh, Puh~lease! Japanese consists mainly of two words: 'chibi' and 'hentai'. How straining could it be?

Totemo muzukashii ya na.  Nazenara nihongo no bunpo to eigo no bunpo wa gyaku da yo!

What happens if you are poking someone's ethereal self when you Defold? Do you reemerge with your finger stuck in their bicep?

It would be like poking a ghost.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:40:48 AM by Sketchley »

Offline InfernosCaress

• Lt. Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 12:08:17 PM »
However, the skills (and blame falls on me and the lack of in-depth checking by other players in the past):

Power Armour Specialist skills should be (for non-humanized Zentraadi):
Mecha Combat: Nuujaderu-Gaa or Quadoran-Roh
Mecha Combat: Choose 1
Read Sensory Instruments
Weapon Systems
WP Knife

Nah, there is no blame. Nothing is perfection from the beginning. We're just working out kinks as we come across them.

Were both of those supposed to be 'Mecha Combat' or the first one a typo meant to the 'Pilot'?

[
The YF-30 is just to rare a fighter - it's something built only for testing purposes.  However, the VF-31 is much more available (but still rare).  Please change to the VF-31./quote]

I went with the 19. It's older and more likely to be picked up by roving gains. Also, I have nothing against the 19. In the PSP games, I main the 19-Ravens Custom.

Just as an FYI, I had put the 30 as an instinctive thing, like it would just click when she tried one out. But then, I am not used to games were you easily pick up new skills.

The YF-30 is just to rare a fighter - it's something built only for testing purposes.  However, the VF-31 is much more available (but still rare).

Honestly, it's the wings that me. I simply adore that broke wing design that the 30, and a lesser degree the 27, has. They removed it on the 31 in favor of a design closer to the 19 and  the 29. That is why I prefer the test model over the production variant.

That said, it should not be too terribly difficult for her to get a YF-30. It was a modded 24. She just needs to come across any of the 24 family, be new, used, or a wreck. With the Research skill, she could look up the plans and design notes. VF Mechanic would allow her follow them and mod it in to a 30. Not difficult, but time consuming and costly.  Rebuilding it could be a pet project of hers, something that would occupy her off-hours (and her pay) for months or years, reaching completion at the time when the group arrives at a comparative level of strength.

So, as you've got 11 (?) skills

12. 8 from Education, 4 from background. One was used to boost her Cooking skill. I could drop one to make it 11, if you would like. :)

you may want to move the surplus 3 skills to the Additional Skills section.

Super-easy. I moved the Skills that she would have developed from being on the lamb. Chronologically the last ones that she would have learned.

Cool.  And I bet it's weird watching what amounts to your neighbourhood on TV.

You would think, but Texas isn't like the movies. It is actually mostly forestland. When you leave the main cities, there are trees everywhere. I live beside a lake, in a forest. So it is a lot different than those shows.

it's even more bizarre, as the film claims that the story is taking place somewhere else!

Yeah, I know! Robocop (the original) was filmed in Dallas and claimed to be Future Detroit (the opposite side of the country).  The police headquarters is just down the street from the 'Fast and Loud' garage, in fact.  In real life, it's a two-story building. In the movie, they cropped an image the building next to it and pasted it on top of the headquarters to make it look like a skyscraper.

Totemo muzukashii ya na.  Nazenara nihongo no bunpo to eigo no bunpo wa gyaku da yo!

I see you there, typing random letters on the screen in an attempt to confuse me!

It would be like poking a ghost.

What if your ghost was touching their ghost? Would it be solid?